Dollar Tree Buying Family Dollar

arizonaguy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Dollar Tree Buying Family Dollar

Post by arizonaguy » January 8th, 2016, 10:19 am

storewanderer wrote:Dollar General is not a bad store, they have dotted various small towns in my area in Nevada; Sun Valley, New Washoe City, Gardnerville Ranchos, Silver Springs, Hawthorne, and also some of the little California towns such as Quincy and Chester.

Family Dollar has been more aggressive in building in Nevada but seems to be missing in California. So far two Reno Family Dollars have closed and converted to Dollar Tree. I expect more to close. Family Dollar is a dog.

Dollar General isn't a great experience for atmosphere or service but you get in and out quickly and the pricing isn't bad. I am waiting for the day these stores get into the pharmacy business.

I feel 99 Cents Only is a better store than any of these though.
99 Cents Only is a better store than Dollar Tree. However, there is a market for a Dollar General / Family Dollar format of a small general merchandise store. There are several areas where Walmart hasn't bothered to go and Kmart has closed where Dollar Tree or Family Dollar are the only general merchandise retailer. These areas are still perfect for the Family Dollar format. Dollar Tree (and 99 Cents only) do better in areas where there is general merchandise competition and the allure of almost everything being priced at $1 draws bargain hunters.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » January 8th, 2016, 11:20 pm

Family Dollar and Dollar General have also done some favors to those small towns where Alco failed. What a trainwreck Alco was.

cjd
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cjd » August 26th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I'm not sure when Dollar Tree and Family Dollar started out here but it must have been the 80s. I remember them since I was a kid, sometimes they'd even be in the same plaza.

Over here, I've noticed huge growth from Dollar General in the last few years. They've seemed to build stores in every little community in the past few years. I can count 5 new ones in my town alone including the further out communities. The new one near my house seems a bit more upscale than their older stores with polished concrete floors and warehouse ceilings, and has a grocery store like food section. It's not really cheaper than Walmart but cheaper than most convenience stores would be. It works in a pinch since I live about 10 miles from the grocery store.

Family Dollar on the other hand closed one of their older stores, kept the other and has only built one new store in the county. The older store that's still open at one time was quite a mess with stuff everywhere including on the floor, a backroom disaster, and floors that didn't look like they'd been cleaned in weeks or months. They would bring people from other stores to get it back into shape but it never stayed that way. It seems to be under control now but seems to be way overstocked with too many things for a smaller store.

The Family Dollar where my grandmother lives (very very small town) was a newer built one but when Dollar Tree bought them it closed and reopened as Dollar Tree. She loves it though and there's a newer Dollar General next door so she likes having the two in a town with no other retail.

We have an older Dollar Tree here, that used to be Everything's $1 years ago. It seems to be neat and clean whenever I go in. It's in a Plaza with a Publix which seems uncommon.