Dick's acquiring 31 Sports Authority stores

lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Dick's acquiring 31 Sports Authority stores

Post by lake »

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/n ... ority.html

I would expect many of these stores to be in areas where Dick's has entered but is not very strong in such as Northern California.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Dick's acquiring 31 Sports Authority stores

Post by wnetmacman »

Also in the story is that Dick's bought both the Sports Authority brand name and sportsauthority.com. Brand recognition has a price, evidently...
Super S

Post by Super S »

I am curious what will happen to one store at 78th Street & I-5 in Vancouver, WA, which was actually a new build that opened within the past year! A Wendy's was demolished and moved across the street, and they are currently building a Marshalls nearby, and remodeling parts of the nearby strip mall. The store seems on the smaller side though, at least on the outside (I have never been inside).

Dick's did not take over the G.I. Joe's (Joe's Sporting Goods) location in Vancouver, but did take over their former location in Delta Park only a few miles south on I-5 in tax-free Oregon, so it's hard to tell what will happen here. In contrast, Sports Authority closed their location at Jantzen Beach (also in Oregon, not far from Delta Park) about 1-2 years ago.

However, Dick's does not have a location in Vancouver, so who knows what they will do.
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by lake »

http://www.kccllc.net/sportsauthority/d ... 0000000014
List is on page 6. Target also picked up a few locations along with a bunch of other chains. OSH picked one up in Florida
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

lake wrote:OSH picked one up in Florida
That's the interesting one. The first OSH outside the west coast. Pretty aspirational. I wonder what other locations are planned?
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by lake »

submariner wrote:
lake wrote:OSH picked one up in Florida
That's the interesting one. The first OSH outside the west coast. Pretty aspirational. I wonder what other locations are planned?
Not really a Lowe's or Home Depot in the area as far as I can tell. Also looks to be a relatively wealthy area. Since it will be a smaller store they can probably use Lowe's distribution and pick and choose the items they will carry. South Florida is a pretty good market and OSH is doing very well ever since Lowe's took over and invested.
submariner

Post by submariner »

lake wrote:
submariner wrote:
Not really a Lowe's or Home Depot in the area as far as I can tell. Also looks to be a relatively wealthy area. Since it will be a smaller store they can probably use Lowe's distribution and pick and choose the items they will carry. South Florida is a pretty good market and OSH is doing very well ever since Lowe's took over and invested.
I agree, I think it has potential to work. I've been impressed with the new OSH locations (I liked the old locations too, before they disappeared from Southern California during the big purge).
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

What will the Target thing be? Maybe more of their small-format things? I can't tell exactly how big that location is.

Also nice to see Best Buy snap up a location. That isn't so common these days.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I may be wrong but I thought Sears took OSH to some other markets...

Maybe it was just to OR/WA?

Whatever markets it was, they failed. For some reason I thought it was the midwest.

OSH was never broken, Sears just stacked the decks/cards against it. It was a really smart pick up for Lowes.
submariner

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote:I may be wrong but I thought Sears took OSH to some other markets...

Maybe it was just to OR/WA?

Whatever markets it was, they failed. For some reason I thought it was the midwest.

OSH was never broken, Sears just stacked the decks/cards against it. It was a really smart pick up for Lowes.
OSH only previously expanded to the Portland area. All other locations were exclusively in California.