Circle K Selling Thrifty Ice Cream

Alpha8472

Circle K Selling Thrifty Ice Cream

Post by Alpha8472 »

I stopped by a Circle K in Concord in Northern California today and saw that they are selling hand scooped Thrifty Ice Cream. Circle K even uses the signature cylindrical Thrifty Ice Cream scoop. They also have a lighted Thrifty Ice Cream sign at the front of the store. Circle K really wants to promote the new ice cream. Thrifty Ice Cream is by far one of the best tasting ice creams around. It is a favorite in California and I am glad to see that it is no longer limited to Rite Aid stores. I am sure many people will love it. I hope that Thrifty is a brand that can go nationwide.

storewanderer

Re: Circle K Selling Thrifty Ice Cream

Post by storewanderer »

This looks like a franchise Circle K so I am wondering if this is a corporate program or just the idea of this franchisee. Judging by the looks of the place, this franchisee is trying every idea in the book to add more variety to their store than a typical Circle K.

There are some gas stations in Las Vegas and Phoenix offering Thrifty Ice Cream as well. The logo and marketing materials for that ice cream are all like they use at the freestanding Thrifty Ice Cream shops in Mexico. I have never figured out who controls that whole program but I don't think it is controlled/handled by Rite Aid.

Still it seems there are things happening to expand distribution of this ice cream beyond Rite Aid the past few years which is great to see because it is a strong brand in the west/southwest and while Rite Aid has handled this brand well overall (even if the price isn't exactly "Thrifty" anymore), it is very questionable what Walgreens will do.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Circle K Selling Thrifty Ice Cream

Post by Brian Lutz »

It seems to me that ice cream counters in convenience stores are something of a trend as of late. The 76 near my house has one (Tillamook Ice Cream, pretty good stuff) and I've seen it in a number of larger convenience stores along the road too. Ice cream doesn't exactly seem like the most car-friendly food out there, but I guess they need something to fill 10,000 square feet (which is the minimum store size required to sell liquor in Washington.)