7-Eleven to buy Stripes

pseudo3d

Re: 7-Eleven to buy Stripes

Post by pseudo3d »

The deal closed yesterday with about 60 stores collectively to be divested. There's no list but the affected MSAs are listed. Now comes the purge...
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

ctg23 wrote: January 24th, 2018, 1:22 pm Will 7-Eleven convert the Sunoco stores to the 7-Eleven brand? Are there any reasons they wouldn't?
The short answer is no.

Part of the reason for this agreement was for 7-Eleven to partner with Sunoco for a better gas brand, not unlike they had with Citgo in the 80s.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't understand this divest list at all for the sites 7-Eleven has to divest of their own.

This site: appears to be a Shell station with an indy c-store?
4783 E HIGHWAY 83
ROMA
TX

Most of the others seem to be cobranded 7-Eleven/Exxon sites acquired from something called Speedy Stop and have their own taco concept too?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: January 24th, 2018, 9:18 pm I don't understand this divest list at all for the sites 7-Eleven has to divest of their own.

This site: appears to be a Shell station with an indy c-store?
4783 E HIGHWAY 83
ROMA
TX

Most of the others seem to be cobranded 7-Eleven/Exxon sites acquired from something called Speedy Stop and have their own taco concept too?
Speedy Stop was a convenience store brand in south Texas that sold some, but not all of its stores to 7-Eleven. For some reason, 7-Eleven rebranded the stores where it had almost no market share (including Houston) as "TETCO", another brand they bought and got rid of the ones they didn't like. For all intents and purposes the TETCO stores use 7-Eleven merchandise, systems, and programs.
ctg23

Post by ctg23 »

wnetmacman wrote: January 24th, 2018, 7:40 pm
ctg23 wrote: January 24th, 2018, 1:22 pm Will 7-Eleven convert the Sunoco stores to the 7-Eleven brand? Are there any reasons they wouldn't?
The short answer is no.

Part of the reason for this agreement was for 7-Eleven to partner with Sunoco for a better gas brand, not unlike they had with Citgo in the 80s.
Why wouldn't 7-Eleven implement their brand / merchandising (i.e. Grab & Go, Slurpee, Private Label, etc.)? Seems odd that they have always done this with previous acquisitions but wouldn't with Sunoco.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

ctg23 wrote: January 25th, 2018, 7:36 am Why wouldn't 7-Eleven implement their brand / merchandising (i.e. Grab & Go, Slurpee, Private Label, etc.)? Seems odd that they have always done this with previous acquisitions but wouldn't with Sunoco.
I'm referring to gas, as Citgo was in the 80's. As far as the store items, those will most likely change, but my understanding was that 7-Eleven wanted some foodservice experience that they currently do not have.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: January 25th, 2018, 8:03 am
...my understanding was that 7-Eleven wanted some foodservice experience that they currently do not have.
They say that, but then I look at what happened to White Hen and I disagree.

I think that the larger stores will be kept to some degree. Expect to see very large stores, rural stores, and stores with a fast food franchise (including acquired Quik Stuf stores) to be sold off.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

So one bit of news in the 7-Eleven/Stripes story is the divested stores (West Texas/Oklahoma/NM, not part of the FTC divestment) will remain Stripes due a sub-licensing deal with a new company created to take over the sites. To me, this sounds like a way to essentially keep the Stripes name alive and in use by sub-licensing to a new company. Meanwhile, Stripes has shown no sign of integrating yet, even releasing commemorative Selena cups.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

The Stripes stores sold off were mostly in the region where Alon/7-11 operates, or in the case of OK, 7-11 of Oklahoma (which is separate from 7-11)