Kwik Chek convenience stores in Texas and Oklahoma

Ohio Man
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Kwik Chek convenience stores in Texas and Oklahoma

Post by Ohio Man »

While doing online searching for something else, I came across this website for a chain of c stores in Texas and Oklahoma called Kwik Chek:

http://www.kwikchekstores.com/index.php

The site is very vague about it's origins, saying it started in Texas. But the logo is pretty much identical to the one Kwik Chek supermarkets used when Winn Dixie still used that name, right down to the check mark. Does anyone know anything about this outfit? Does Winn Dixie own it? Did Winn Dixie sell or license the Kwik Chek name to them? I'm not an expert in intellectual property law but supposedly a company can be deemed to have abandoned the right to a trademark if they don't use it for a long period of time. But it would be very unwise for an upstart company to rely on abandonment of a name by a bigger company. And since Winn Dixie uses a variant of the logo for its name and for Chek soft drinks, I would say they haven't really abandoned it.
storewanderer

Re: Kwik Chek convenience stores in Texas and Oklahoma

Post by storewanderer »

They operate in extremely small towns with very small locations. Many 1-2 pump locations on low traffic two lane roads. Some branded with Conoco/66. Many stores that feel like an independent c-store but are actually part of this chain.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Kwik Chek convenience stores in Texas and Oklahoma

Post by wnetmacman »

Ohio Man wrote:While doing online searching for something else, I came across this website for a chain of c stores in Texas and Oklahoma called Kwik Chek:

http://www.kwikchekstores.com/index.php

The site is very vague about it's origins, saying it started in Texas. But the logo is pretty much identical to the one Kwik Chek supermarkets used when Winn Dixie still used that name, right down to the check mark. Does anyone know anything about this outfit? Does Winn Dixie own it? Did Winn Dixie sell or license the Kwik Chek name to them? I'm not an expert in intellectual property law but supposedly a company can be deemed to have abandoned the right to a trademark if they don't use it for a long period of time. But it would be very unwise for an upstart company to rely on abandonment of a name by a bigger company. And since Winn Dixie uses a variant of the logo for its name and for Chek soft drinks, I would say they haven't really abandoned it.
Winn Dixie never used Kwik Chek in TX or OK. They had phased it out prior to their purchase of Kimbell.