Profile: John Jackson Started with One Store

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Profile: John Jackson Started with One Store

Post by SamSpade »

Jackson's is probably larger than Maverik at this point, but kind of set up the same way.
Luck and growth through growing cities in growing western states. . . Jackson's bought all Idaho's Circle K locations in the late 1990s.
Pioneer Newspapers: Profile
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Profile: John Jackson Started with One Store

Post by Brian Lutz »

When Jackson's showed up in the Seattle metro area, they did so basically overnight, taking over a fairly large number of existing Shell stations. One thing the article notes is that they aim to have eight construction projects going on at a time, which would explain why a Jackson's Shell station on 128th in Everett was recently torn down (which I found out about when I tried to stop for gas) and is being rtebuilt. I don't think it was a bad location, just not up to modern standards.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Jacksons has its own wholesale for the stores while Maverik relies on Core Mark as a supplier. This is about the only difference between the two. And of course Jacksons runs mostly (all?) branded fuel vs. Maverik being all unbranded.

When I was much younger Jacksons re-opened a vacant for a while Texaco near where I live, it was one of their first 30 or so stores. I believe they did a raise and rebuild on the site. They were always a pretty good operator, clean store, better quality employees than a typical c-store, etc. I am not surprised they have been able to grow how they have because they seem to be well run. I have noticed a little bit of slippage in their service over the years but overall it is still well above average for a convenience store. They're no Quik Trip but they are a much better operator than 7-Eleven, Maverik, or Quik Stop as far as the cleanliness/speed of service thing goes.

It is interesting Jacksons will surrender its own c-store brand on the Chevrons for the Extra Mile brand instead, which has really gone downhill since they started franchising it more, putting it on smaller sites, etc. Also Extra Mile's prices are absolutely terrible. I expect Jacksons Extra Mile locations will be more in line with the older (corporate owned) ones in California that operate to a higher standard and pricing will be adjusted to be more appropriate to the markets.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I haven't seen a lot of the older Maverik stores, but some of their newer ones are very nice, quite a bit nicer than an average ExtraMile, AMPM or 7-Eleven type store.