Washington Attorney General files suit against Value Village

Super S

Washington Attorney General files suit against Value Village

Post by Super S »

http://www.columbian.com/news/2017/dec/ ... e-village/

I don't see the point of this. It is pretty obvious to me that this chain is a for profit chain. Makes me wonder though if this has anything to do with the fact that their stores have been gradually closing with no replacements over the last few years.
storewanderer

Re: Washington Attorney General files suit against Value Village

Post by storewanderer »

It is my understanding certain non-profit organizations will collect goods and then sell the goods to this company to resell. Specifically when I was young I remember a certain non-profit organization used to pick up items in the neighborhood. I'll not name the organization. I remember some of my toys being put out one week. A month or so later for some reason my family was in the Savers Store in town and I saw a couple of my toys there for sale. I was pretty disgusted with the whole thing, it was my understanding "giving things away" meant just that... giving them to other people to use. Not to be sold in a store like Savers.

So do sales in these stores benefit non-profit organizations? I guess the non-profit organization got some sort of money for the goods. Typically this is done on a "per pound" basis with the big lots of items collected weighed and sold; it is known a certain amount of the items donated are not sellable.

Thrift stores in general seem to be walking a fine line in my opinion with how they operate and their pricing as more and more larger companies or "organizations" have put the small thrift stores that smaller non-profits were operating out of business.