Dollar General opening in Oregon

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Dollar General opening in Oregon

Post by SamSpade »

In traveling through Clatskanie, Oregon today I saw that Dollar General is constructing a store from the ground up.

I don't believe Family Dollar or Dollar General operate anywhere in Oregon or Washington currently.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Dollar General opening in Oregon

Post by J-Man »

There are a number of Dollar Generals in southern Oregon: Brookings, Grants Pass (three stores), Gold Hill, Bandon, Roseburg, etc.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Was not aware of one opening in Clatskanie, but they are building one in Rainier, Oregon along with a new Grocery Outlet. These are being built on the site of what used to be a Sentry supermarket and more recently J&R Liquidators. Rainier hasn't had a true supermarket since the Sentry closed, and J&R could be best described as a very low end imitation of Grocery Outlet if you can imagine such a thing. It really wasn't that great of a store.

I am a little surprised that there isn't more retail in Rainier when you consider that Oregon has no state sales tax, where Washington has an 8.1% sales tax. Longview is just across the river.
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

JR has closed?!?? noooooooooooo

That place made for terrific treasure hunting.
Super S

Post by Super S »

VibeGuy wrote: March 6th, 2018, 7:10 pm JR has closed?!?? noooooooooooo

That place made for terrific treasure hunting.
The few times I went in there I didn't see anything but junk and expired food. Granted I had not gone in there for several years, but I think the replacement stores will serve Rainier better than J&R did.

The congestion on the Lewis & Clark bridge has been getting worse in recent years (some use highway 30 to avoid Portland traffic jams on the freeways) and I think it is smart for retailers to open on the Oregon side, especially since a major intersection on the Washington side is in the process of being redesigned and will only make traffic more of an issue. A lot of people in Oregon don't like crossing the bridge for basic needs.