Places/locations with unusual signage

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Places/locations with unusual signage

Post by Brian Lutz »

(Not sure where this would fit in the board, this was my best guess)

This weekend while on a short roadtrip I ended up taking a detour through the Bavarian-themed town of Leavenworth Washington. The first thing I noticed there was that, owing to a local ordinance requiring signage to match the town's Bavaian theme, you find that a number of otherwise recognizable national brands had signs for their Leavenworth locations very unlike any of their typical ones. For example, the local Safeway looks like this, and the sign for the local Starbucks looks like this. Other really unusual signs include a Wells Fargo branch and a 76 gas station (some more photos here,) Oddly enough, the McDonald's in town still maintains the Golden Arches, but in a hand-carved wooden sign. It reminds me a bit of this, where someone redesigned a number of common logos with Comic Sans font. a Street View trip through Leavenworth will show more of these.

Has anyone seen any other places where weird signs like this occur? One candidate I've heard of is Sedona Arizona, where the local McDonald's was forced to render the Golden Arches in a turquoise font on the sign to meet local design guidelines.
Super S

Re: Places/locations with unusual signage

Post by Super S »

One I can think of is the GNC location in the near-dead mall in Aberdeen, WA, which has a very short-lived logo they used briefly in the 1990s. This is the only location where I have ever seen that signage on a store.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/GNC/@ ... CnoECAoQCw