OSH Closing All Stores

jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: OSH Closing All Stores

Post by jamcool »

They could have just renamed them Lowe’s Hardware stores and had a smaller format urban style store. Don’t forget Lowe’s started as a hardware store.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

jamcool wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:53 am They could have just renamed them Lowe’s Hardware stores and had a smaller format urban style store. Don’t forget Lowe’s started as a hardware store.
That's what I figured they were going to do. Plus, they did open a store in Manhattan just like that.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

They're not wasting any time. I already received an email announcing the store closings and the beginning of liquidation sales ("10 to 30% off.")
bnill
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by bnill »

jamcool wrote: August 24th, 2018, 6:53 am They could have just renamed them Lowe’s Hardware stores and had a smaller format urban style store. Don’t forget Lowe’s started as a hardware store.
A majority of the OSH chain was not as profitable compared to regular Lowe’s stores; however, OSH had certain stores in markets where it would be tough to build out full sized Lowe’s stores i.e. San Francisco where Lowe’s could rebrand those stores as a Lowe’s since they are the right size for the market, there’s no other competitors in those areas so they had to be profitable
bnill
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by bnill »

Also, here’s my local OSH store that is closing. This was on 10/30/18, with 6 days left and there was barely anything left, I wouldn’t be surprised if they closed a few days sooner.
Attachments
80E4719F-9259-42FC-ACFF-6AE35DFDEA25.jpeg
4A1F8741-2E6C-4C4F-B912-E98C0ABC23F9.jpeg
87B4A529-16EE-4FD4-BE9D-F230B9CE50BC.jpeg
569323FC-14BF-4382-ABEB-0723F9CA5FE5.jpeg
A3F6ABB2-434E-4823-903D-481316D1C9CC.jpeg
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I've never seen such a good looking OSH.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

I think a fair number of OSH locations will end up being small format Target stores. It's the right size and they have some locations that would work for Target.

And since OSH is not in bankruptcy, Lowe's has must be motivated to get rid of the leases as soon as possible so there maybe some financial incentives.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I felt like in NorCal a lot of these OSHs could convert to grocery stores of some kind. For any grocer who has a smaller store near an OSH, the larger OSH location would probably be a logical relocation. Safeway, Save Mart, and even Whole Foods operate quite a few smaller stores in NorCal.

You probably have to fumigate the place to make it into a grocery store with the years of built up garden pesticide, paint, etc. odors in the OSH Stores but that is another story.

I am sure landlords would prefer to divide the spaces up. Sprouts or Trader Joe's plus something else.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 10:55 pm I am sure landlords would prefer to divide the spaces up. Sprouts or Trader Joe's plus something else.
Dividing up a large retail space is the last thing that any landlord wants to do. You are looking at some significant expense to separate the HVAC and electrical systems, add bathrooms/plumbing, build a new facade, etc. They will do it if they have no other choice but it's a significant expense especially if only half the space is leased.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: November 3rd, 2018, 7:04 pm
storewanderer wrote: November 2nd, 2018, 10:55 pm I am sure landlords would prefer to divide the spaces up. Sprouts or Trader Joe's plus something else.
Dividing up a large retail space is the last thing that any landlord wants to do. You are looking at some significant expense to separate the HVAC and electrical systems, add bathrooms/plumbing, build a new facade, etc. They will do it if they have no other choice but it's a significant expense especially if only half the space is leased.
Landlords sure seem to love carving up former Kmarts into multiple things... and even some of these former mall Sears... as you point out, you need to get the space filled up to make it worthwhile.

Just had a former Target/Gemco here carved up between Harbor Freight and Tractor Supply too. Also just had a former Scolaris carved up between Grocery Outlet and Big Lots this year. A couple years ago, repeat of the same thing with a different former Scolaris. Also another former Scolaris carved up between Grocey Outlet and Bealls.

There are also 3 former Wal Marts in this region that have been carved up to various extents.

Lots of this carving up thing happening in my area.