U-Haul reusing KMart - Sears buildings for self storage

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

U-Haul reusing KMart - Sears buildings for self storage

Post by SamSpade »

I just don't understand why humans allow themselves to spend all this money to store things, but apparently it's big business.

In some of the more prosperous communities, U-Haul is working with Seritage (etc) to retain former KMart and Sears properties for self storage facilities.

Former Ammon KMart Reused for New Tenant
storewanderer

Re: U-Haul reusing KMart - Sears buildings for self storage

Post by storewanderer »

Those U-Haul storage facilities with the interior corridors are quite nice. The units are also alarmed. I had to deal with a bunch of document boxes that were being stored in one some time ago and it was not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting dust, cobwebs, standing out in the cold. Not at all. This facility was clean, it was temperature controlled, had carts and hand trucks to use, and even had clean restrooms.

No clue how much that storage unit cost vs. a "standard" storage unit but it was definitely a more pleasant experience.
Super S

Re: U-Haul reusing KMart - Sears buildings for self storage

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 22nd, 2018, 10:07 pm Those U-Haul storage facilities with the interior corridors are quite nice. The units are also alarmed. I had to deal with a bunch of document boxes that were being stored in one some time ago and it was not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting dust, cobwebs, standing out in the cold. Not at all. This facility was clean, it was temperature controlled, had carts and hand trucks to use, and even had clean restrooms.

No clue how much that storage unit cost vs. a "standard" storage unit but it was definitely a more pleasant experience.
There may be a similar development brewing at the old Kmart in Chehalis, WA as I have seen UHaul trucks and trailers parked inside a fenced area of the former garden center, as well as on the edge of the lot, and a banner on the road sign for UHaul rentals.

Although I am not sure that's the best location as it's in a flood prone area...