Lowe's Closing 51 Stores

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Lowe's Closing 51 Stores

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: November 8th, 2018, 9:37 am In my opinion, Home Depot is the superior operator.

In my area (Phoenix) Home Depot and Lowe's stores are predominately all new build stores (Home Depot does have at least one former Home Base store but it has been renovated to basically mirror a standard Home Depot).

I find that when I go to Lowe's, I have less success in finding what I want. Also, Home Depot has much better customer service. Home Depot also seems to do significantly greater volume than Lowe's.

The number of closings is relatively small (for the total number of stores in the chain) and it appears Lowe's is trying to go to a "back to the basics" model.
I was very disappointed with Lowes when I moved from San Diego to Phoenix. It was like a completely separate company. Not sure whether that is the result of divisional differences or the result of Lowes deteriorating between the time I was shopping there in San Diego (2000 - mid-2016) and in Phoenix (mid-2017 to today). As we all know, a year can make a huge difference.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: November 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm
arizonaguy wrote: November 8th, 2018, 9:37 am In my opinion, Home Depot is the superior operator.

In my area (Phoenix) Home Depot and Lowe's stores are predominately all new build stores (Home Depot does have at least one former Home Base store but it has been renovated to basically mirror a standard Home Depot).

I find that when I go to Lowe's, I have less success in finding what I want. Also, Home Depot has much better customer service. Home Depot also seems to do significantly greater volume than Lowe's.

The number of closings is relatively small (for the total number of stores in the chain) and it appears Lowe's is trying to go to a "back to the basics" model.
I was very disappointed with Lowes when I moved from San Diego to Phoenix. It was like a completely separate company. Not sure whether that is the result of divisional differences or the result of Lowes deteriorating between the time I was shopping there in San Diego (2000 - mid-2016) and in Phoenix (mid-2017 to today). As we all know, a year can make a huge difference.
I suspect you may be experiencing a low volume stores vs. high volume stores issue. Sort of like if you try to compare perimeter quality, mix, and freshness of a Safeway in the San Francisco bay area with one of their lousy low volume stores in a suburb of Phoenix or Denver with a Kroger competitor across the street and a Wal Mart competitor down the block. There is just no comparison.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: November 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm
rwsandiego wrote: November 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I suspect you may be experiencing a low volume stores vs. high volume stores issue. Sort of like if you try to compare perimeter quality, mix, and freshness of a Safeway in the San Francisco bay area with one of their lousy low volume stores in a suburb of Phoenix or Denver with a Kroger competitor across the street and a Wal Mart competitor down the block. There is just no comparison.
That could very well be the case. Next time I'm in San Diego I'll stop into the Mission Valley store and report back.