Michael's

storewanderer

Michael's

Post by storewanderer »

Attempted to go to Michael's Store in Carson City, NV yesterday afternoon.

Signs on the door "Michael's is temporarily closed. Please visit our nearest location.... Reno (30 miles away)."

Store was fully stocked, even a couple shopping carts out in the parking lot. Parking lot was empty aside from the steady stream of 1-2 customers parking and walking up to the doors and seeing the store closed, so no employees appeared to be inside.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Michael's

Post by rwsandiego »

Interesting. Makes me wonder whether an employee became sick with COVID-19.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Between this and the odd closure of the Reno Dick's with a similarly worded sign on the door a few days prior I am beginning to wonder- are we going to start to see this where stores are closed at random due to employee(s) getting COVID? Is this the new normal?

What a radical change for retailers which previously did not close for... much of anything.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

I saw this in my area a few months back with a Bealls Outlet, but I haven't seen it at any other retailers. Sign on door that it was temporarily closed, but nothing else, then read about why online.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: August 8th, 2020, 11:40 am Between this and the odd closure of the Reno Dick's with a similarly worded sign on the door a few days prior I am beginning to wonder- are we going to start to see this where stores are closed at random due to employee(s) getting COVID? Is this the new normal?
I think at some point that will just stop. It is pretty unrealistic to fully sanitize a store whenever someone comes down with a case (especially since recent studies show the virus is more airborne vs. surfaceborne). Hell, I work at Costco and we had a case (presumably caught from an outside source) and all we did was put a note on our employee board. By the time they posted it, it was almost two weeks after the fact anyway (likely due to test delays). We didn't do any real extra cleaning.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:45 pm
storewanderer wrote: August 8th, 2020, 11:40 am Between this and the odd closure of the Reno Dick's with a similarly worded sign on the door a few days prior I am beginning to wonder- are we going to start to see this where stores are closed at random due to employee(s) getting COVID? Is this the new normal?
I think at some point that will just stop. It is pretty unrealistic to fully sanitize a store whenever someone comes down with a case (especially since recent studies show the virus is more airborne vs. surfaceborne). Hell, I work at Costco and we had a case (presumably caught from an outside source) and all we did was put a note on our employee board. By the time they posted it, it was almost two weeks after the fact anyway (likely due to test delays). We didn't do any real extra cleaning.
I know of multiple cases at certain grocery stores. Basically the way it went is the person had symptoms so they called into work... after having symptoms for a week or so they got a COVID test and then waited around more days for the result and finally in comes the positive result. By the time the positive result came in, it was like two weeks since the person had last worked or been in the store. The store says they did "deep cleaning" and I did see one chain who closed a store for about six hours in order to do some kind of deep cleaning but another chain kept the store at usual hours and nothing really happened.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Haven't noticed or heard of any Michaels locations here closing like that, it must be an isolated case. Aside from Covid concerns, other things could be going on like a power outage or computer issues. I have seen other stores temporarily close for those reasons.

storewanderer wrote: August 9th, 2020, 10:04 pm
mbz321 wrote: August 9th, 2020, 9:45 pm
I know of multiple cases at certain grocery stores. Basically the way it went is the person had symptoms so they called into work... after having symptoms for a week or so they got a COVID test and then waited around more days for the result and finally in comes the positive result. By the time the positive result came in, it was like two weeks since the person had last worked or been in the store. The store says they did "deep cleaning" and I did see one chain who closed a store for about six hours in order to do some kind of deep cleaning but another chain kept the store at usual hours and nothing really happened.
Based on my observations, I am questioning how much "deep cleaning" that stores talk about is really taking place. I have noticed more attention being paid to things like pinpads and other high contact surfaces, but some stores still have the same dirty floors, same dusty shelves, etc. and don't really look or feel any cleaner than before. In other cases, some of the products used for sanitizing will leave a sticky residue behind, making surfaces look dirty when they really aren't. I know of one local store which uses an outside company for cleaning, and the manager told me that they have changed some of the chemicals they use and have had to have them come back several times to deal with the sticky residue.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Spray cleaning helps a little, but then some sick person comes along and makes it dirty minutes later. The real danger is someone coughing or sneezing. The virus floats in the air and lingers. The six foot rule is for regular exhalation, but sneezing sprays particles into the air. Then you would need much more space. The lungs are the most vulnerable things. Your lungs are like sponges for disease.

If only we had far UVC lights that would sterilize the air on contact. I worked at a hospital years ago and they had an industrial strength UVC light fixture in front of the entrance to the operating rooms. Combined with hepa filters in the air conditioning system, the air was kept quite sterile.