Radio Shack liquidating?

Super S

Radio Shack liquidating?

Post by Super S »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... print-deal

I am actually kinda surprised they lasted this long. Radio Shack used to be an interesting store, but these days about the only thing they know how to do is push cell phone sales.
bm10k

Re: Radio Shack liquidating?

Post by bm10k »

Apparently there is a list of closings now. I wouldn't be surprised it there's more

http://radioshackcorporation.com/pdfs/R ... 020415.pdf

it's Listed by Store number so just search by city or state
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to a local Radio Shack and they were having a 60-80% off Clearance Sale. Not much was left. I noticed a vast amount of cell phone cases. I also saw that they were selling some random drawers of electronic part such as fuses, transistors, etc.

It was sad. Once a long time ago, Radio Shack actually had stuff that you wanted to buy. There were radio controlled cars and very interesting electronic gadgets.

The store was also playing some very good music. It was all hits of the 80s. I think it was very befitting as the chain was so stuck in the past. Everyone seemed to be having a good time remembering all of the greatest hits from the 80s. I didn't buy anything, but I was tempted to buy a cell phone. Their cell phones were 60% off and there were some brand new ones at a good price. However, the employee told me he didn't know that they made a Moto G 2nd Generation. Unbelievable! It's one of the most popular affordable cell phones out there. I guess an affordable cell phone is something that Radio Shack didn't bother to carry.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Alpha8472 wrote:I also saw that they were selling some random drawers of electronic part such as fuses, transistors, etc.
Not surprising as that was one of their main markets - having the "bits and pieces" to fix whatever it was that you had - unfortunately much of the newer stuff isn't designed to be "fixed", at least by the average person.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I was in the Corvallis, Oregon, and Albany, Oregon, stores on Saturday.

I have been told that the Corvallis store is one of their better stores. It was not having a going out of business sale. There were lots of empty shelves, however, and you definitely get the feeling that the store hasn't gotten much new merchandise in the past few months. They usually have a couple laptops for sale; those demo models were gone. Most of the demo tablets had been replaced with signs. Some of the endcaps felt like they were stocked with whatever they had a lot of on hand (toys), not with something that would grab your attention. There were no signs addressing Radio Shack's current "situation." If you walked in the store, you might not have initially gotten the impression that something was amiss, but you probably would have noticed that the shelves were not well stocked, and there is a decent chance that you wouldn't have found what you came for.

The Albany store was having a going out of business sale. Everything was 60 to 80% off. There was still some decent stuff, but it was quickly getting picked over. There were a few items that were available in great quantity, and it was clear that they were using these liquidations to move some merchandise out of the warehouses.
Super S

Post by Super S »

The Radio Shack in Longview, WA is still open. I was in there a couple days ago and they have shifted a lot of what they have towards cell phones. However, they did have a very small selection of the traditional Radio Shack offerings toward the back of the store. No signs about store closings. Ironically enough there is an existing U.S. Cellular store right next door.

I have noticed that Radio Shack is now gone from Washington Square and Clackamas Town Center in Portland. There are a handful of others in strip malls that I have also noticed have closed.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote:The Radio Shack in Longview, WA is still open. I was in there a couple days ago and they have shifted a lot of what they have towards cell phones. However, they did have a very small selection of the traditional Radio Shack offerings toward the back of the store. No signs about store closings. Ironically enough there is an existing U.S. Cellular store right next door.

I have noticed that Radio Shack is now gone from Washington Square and Clackamas Town Center in Portland. There are a handful of others in strip malls that I have also noticed have closed.
There was just an announcement that 1400 (or so) would remain open and be co-branded with Sprint, with Sprint being the primary branding. Sounds kind of like what you describe (mostly cell stuff, with a small traditional Radio Shack offering).
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed several Radio Shack locations near me that are still open and seem to be doing well. Most of the store is now a Sprint Store and there is a small Radio Shack area. The Sprint Store seems to be where the money is to be made. The Radio Shack side has very little. Most of the windows to the store are now plastered with yellow Sprint advertisements. It is a Sprint Store in practically every way but name now.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Word has it that Sprint is pulling out of the partnership that rescued RadioShack from oblivion and that headquarters has laid off all personnel in merchandising and marketing and all but two in replenishment. Is liquidation imminent?
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I was in the store in Twin Falls, Idaho, (located in a mall) a week ago and it was being liquidated.