Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Post by Super S »

Here in Washington indoor dining is closed again. While I haven't been by Applebee's to see if their tent has returned, I have seen a few restaurants putting up tarps, tents etc. and using heaters to provide limited outdoor dining areas.

I get the point of this, but I am not going to pay restaurant prices to basically eat inside a tent during a cold, rainy, sometimes windy season (when it's even more likely people will be sick). I will get food to go during the times I don't feel like cooking.

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 »

I ate at a restaurant with outdoor dining on Friday, and the tent was still very cold even with heaters. It must have been 50 degrees. Any colder and I would have gotten take out. The restaurant was still busy, but not as busy as before the pandemic. The outdoor heaters do very little unless you are right next to them.

reymann
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by reymann »

restaurants in california could be back to takeout/delivery only if the rise in cases doesn't stop soon.

Alpha8472
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Alpha8472 »

Los Angeles County just announced that starting Wednesday at 10 PM restaurants, wineries, breweries, and bars will be prohibited from offering outdoor dining. Indoor dining was already banned. Takeout, drive-thru, delivery, or pickup are available.

The theory is that any situation where people are without masks is spreading the virus. I can see the logic to that, but these restaurants need to be able to survive somehow. Outdoor dining can be safer, but will banning all dining of any kind really make that much of a difference? This will be the test. If it does not do anything, then they can contemplate switching back to outdoor dining.

The curfew also is in effect from 10 PM to 5 AM. The main target of the curfew is bars or restaurants where people are unmasked and mingle with strangers less than 6 feet apart. Even if you are 6 feet apart, there is still quite a bit of risk whenever you do not have masks on.

I say test all these options out, and if they are proven to be ineffective, then everyone will know. Then you go back and change everything.

Will the curfew even be enforced? Many police agencies have refused to enforce the curfew. It is up to restaurants and stores to adhere to the curfew. The curfew does not apply to supermarket or pharmacy shopping, getting takeout food, medical care, or emergency needs in California.