Wendy's Credit Card Breach

Alpha8472

Wendy's Credit Card Breach

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's credit card breach scandal now affects over 1,000 stores. The first attack was discovered in fall of 2015. They knew about the breach for months and did not stop it until June 8, 2016. I thought that they had fixed this months ago, so I used my card about a month ago. That was a bad idea as the restaurant that I visited was one that was still stealing credit card info. I was driving around and saw a fabulously renovated Wendy's in Antioch, California. This restaurant was spectacular with a newly remodeled dining room with a fireplace and nice leather sofas.

I had to cancel my credit card and open a new account. The second attack happened in January and was not stopped until June.

Now I feel like I have to use cash at every single fast food restaurant. The credit card breaches are simply out of control these days. Perhaps other big restaurant chains have better security.

You can search the list of affected restaurants at the Wendy's website

https://www.wendys.com/en-us/about-wend ... ny-updates
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Wendy's Credit Card Breach

Post by submariner »

Damnit, the one in Orange, CA is listed. It's on the way home, so often a frequent stop of mine...

On the plus side, my bank just started issuing chip cards. So that's a benefit.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

All of the Wendy's near me do not have chip card readers. No other major chain near me has them except for Arby's. Perhaps restaurants are just too lazy to care about security.
Super S

Post by Super S »

My credit card was just reissued due to a data breach. This must be why. The Longview and Vancouver WA locations I visit are listed. I don't usually use a credit card in fast food places but had a few recent instances where I was short on cash.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

These Wendys that were breached all have newer registers (NCR/Radiant Software, Aloha Software).

There are a few Wendys in my area that have these (and were breached). There are also other Wendys in my area which have very old 1995 era Panasonic Registers and a stand alone card processing terminal which actually does process via chip now. I find it funny the stores with the older system end up being the one to process Chip cards while the ones with a newer system do not process it AND now have an ongoing data breach. Wow.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Arby's that I recently visited had a really old registers similar to what you described. I was surprised that they were using chip card readers.

The chip card requirement is actually getting relaxed to a degree. Supposedly, starting very soon merchants without chip card readers will no longer be charged back for fraudulent transactions under $25. This is due to complaints from merchants. Charging back was simply too costly and not worth it. Now there is even less motivation for restaurants to get chip card readers since most restaurant transactions are under $25.