Ruby Tuesday to close 95 locations

storewanderer

Re: Ruby Tuesday to close 95 locations

Post by storewanderer »

I did not know that less than 100 of the Ruby Tuesdays were franchised and the bulk were corporate owned.

I find this interesting as I recall visiting the locations in CA that were mostly franchise, also in CO were franchise. Also I know back 5-8 years ago they were very actively trying to sell franchises in CA. I am not sure about the others I visited.

I wonder what their corporate vs. franchise store ratio was historically?
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

As far as I'm aware there have never been any Ruby Tuesdays in the Seattle market. Then again, both Chili's and T.G.I. Friday's washed out here too sometime around 2009 and 2011 respectively, and the only one left in the area is a single airport location for Chili's at Sea-Tac. Applebee's is still around, but I've only gone there a couple of times in the past few years, and they seem pretty nondescript. Then again, as noted previously Red Robin is very strong in this area, and probably takes the lion's share of the market for fast casual here.
bm10k

Post by bm10k »

I believe Ruby Tuesday actually had 2 locations in the Seattle Area they were in the south end, in Tacoma off I-5 and S. 84th and in Puyallup on S.Meridian Near the Longston Place 14 Theater
Super S

Post by Super S »

There was also one in Lacey near Walmart for a while but I think it is no longer there.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

It appears the beautiful location on the banks of a small pond along Scholls Ferry Rd. on the Beaverton-Tigard border also closed. The Ruby Tuesday store locator now shows the nearest location as Pocatello, Ida. I didn't realize there was one there, but it is a city starved for dining choices.

That also means there are no more locations in Boise or Utah.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There was a Ruby Tuesday in Lakewood, WA. It has been closed for a while.

Awful lot of really good restaurants around Seattle, I would think a lot of national chains would have a pretty hard time.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I have been in Utah this week, and actually came across a location in Park City which appears to have been part of the closures. The signs are still there but it's no longer on the locator. The closest locations to here now are Pocatello, Las Vegas and 2 in the Denver metro area.

As for restaurants in Tacoma, there seems to be a tendency for quite a few places to have locations in the Tacoma metro area, but never go any closer to Seattle than that. Sonic seems to have abandoned the plans they announced several years ago to expand into Seattle, but have a number of locations in the Tacoma metro area (Bonney Lake, Puyallup, Tacoma, Olympia and Poulsbo, but none any closer than that to Seattle.) Del Taco has a single location in Federal Way and used to have a couple others in Tacoma but none in Seattle. There's also a number of small local chains that seem to operate only in Snohomish County and the rural parts of King County, but won't come near Seattle (such as Alfy's Pizza, Buzz Inn Steakhouse and Ixtapa Mexican), Perhaps they just don't want to deal with Seattle?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Also only 4 Ruby Tuesdays left in metro Phoenix.

Seems like basically a total exit of the west... usually a few scattered locations like they have left do not last.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Also only 4 Ruby Tuesdays left in metro Phoenix.

Seems like basically a total exit of the west... usually a few scattered locations like they have left do not last.
Probably will be like Bennigan's and almost die before coming back to life again in a scaled-down format. I don't agree that the "scattered locations don't last" because for a lot of ex-chain restaurants, there's usually isolated remnants that live on for years miles away from the rest of the fleet, like the remaining Kettle restaurants in the South (half a dozen I think), or a Grandy's in Victoria, Texas over 250 miles away from the rest of the chain in the Dallas-Fort Worth areas.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It depends on the chain. Ruby Tuesday being largely corporate owned will not continue to support far flung locations as corporate owned because it simply doesn't work for a corporate owned model. It can work for a franchise model to a lesser degree but causes consistency issues. A few far flung franchise locations can survive with these chains (look at Sizzler, Ground Round, etc. historically, though as of late I think they have managed to shed most of the far flung stuff) but eventually usually do reign in.