"Non-system" Dairy Queens

Super S

Re: "Non-system" Dairy Queens

Post by Super S »

One thing Dairy Queen is not consistent with is updating their stores. While many have remodeled to the "grill and chill" concept, there are a lot of locations that have been mostly untouched in their appearance for 20-30 years or longer except for painting etc. Most of these are the ones that lack indoor seating. Some are good operators, while others seem to gradually decline and simply close down at some point and become something else. I know of one location in Woodland, WA which closed and became a VERY low budget Church's Chicken where they even rattle can painted over the DQ logos on all the door signs. It lasted a matter of months. Then it became a local chicken place under a different operator which also didn't last long. It became a Dairy Queen again a couple years ago.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Super S wrote:One thing Dairy Queen is not consistent with is updating their stores. While many have remodeled to the "grill and chill" concept, there are a lot of locations that have been mostly untouched in their appearance for 20-30 years or longer except for painting etc. Most of these are the ones that lack indoor seating. Some are good operators, while others seem to gradually decline and simply close down at some point and become something else. I know of one location in Woodland, WA which closed and became a VERY low budget Church's Chicken where they even rattle can painted over the DQ logos on all the door signs. It lasted a matter of months. Then it became a local chicken place under a different operator which also didn't last long. It became a Dairy Queen again a couple years ago.
Even some full service locations with seating have not updated. I know of several Texas and Louisiana locations running in original old facilities.
Super S

Post by Super S »

wnetmacman wrote:
Super S wrote:One thing Dairy Queen is not consistent with is updating their stores. While many have remodeled to the "grill and chill" concept, there are a lot of locations that have been mostly untouched in their appearance for 20-30 years or longer except for painting etc. Most of these are the ones that lack indoor seating. Some are good operators, while others seem to gradually decline and simply close down at some point and become something else. I know of one location in Woodland, WA which closed and became a VERY low budget Church's Chicken where they even rattle can painted over the DQ logos on all the door signs. It lasted a matter of months. Then it became a local chicken place under a different operator which also didn't last long. It became a Dairy Queen again a couple years ago.
Even some full service locations with seating have not updated. I know of several Texas and Louisiana locations running in original old facilities.
There are still many unremodeled ones in my area as well. This isn't a huge issue for me as long as the restaurant is well maintained and clean.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

wnetmacman wrote:
Do you remember the Dairy Queen / Frazier "merger"?

I wonder if remodels, updates and better consistencies have to do with what the building started out as.

There were many regular Dairy Queens in Florida with no sit downs and then when Frazier came into the picture some of the stores were enlarged and some were not.

Your thoughts?
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

SamSpade wrote:Do you mean the Brazier?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_Que ... en_Brazier

Yes..........lol.

Thanks!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I was wondering who this Frazier person was (not quite the same spelling as the TV show...) ;)