"Non-system" Dairy Queens

cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

"Non-system" Dairy Queens

Post by cathandler »

Dairy Queen has permitted (tolerated?) locations that don't carry the standard DQ food offering. Here's an example in West Virginia.
http://www.wvgazettemail.com/life-food- ... nam-county
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: "Non-system" Dairy Queens

Post by wnetmacman »

There is a similar location to this in Opelousas, LA. It doesn't serve the full menu, and still operates in the old 'barn' building. It has limited room for expansion, but does a very big business.

Opelousas DQ on Google Maps

Also, the entire state of Texas runs what are known as DQ Texas Country Foods. The hamburgers have different names and recipes, and the baskets are also named. They also serve some pretty good tacos. Had some last week when I was briefly in Texas to go pick up a car.

Texas Dairy Queen Website
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

I know I've seen a couple others more like that (just the walk up with only ice cream items or a small indoor area to order but not the full menu).

Makes sense that the one featured works as it does (selling foods but not the "official" ones) - they likely started with food service before Dairy Queen as a chain did it officially and thus they are "grandfathered" in to continue doing that.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

BillyGr wrote:I know I've seen a couple others more like that (just the walk up with only ice cream items or a small indoor area to order but not the full menu).

Makes sense that the one featured works as it does (selling foods but not the "official" ones) - they likely started with food service before Dairy Queen as a chain did it officially and thus they are "grandfathered" in to continue doing that.
A lot of the locations in Southeast Michigan (and elsewhere) are of the seasonal walk-up type and ice-cream only. As noted though, these locations tend to be decades old.

Edit: An example in Lincoln Park, MI. virtually all other seasonal DQ's are identical in design and size to this one.
Screen Shot 2016-12-26 at 1.30.46 PM.png
Super S

Post by Super S »

There is a walk-up Dairy Queen in Vancouver, WA that is open year round that serves the whole menu. It does well despite all the rain. There was also a traditional one in the Mcloughlin Heights area with inside seating that served eat-in orders on actual dishes. Not sure if that one is still open.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

A few I know of, the summer only DQ in West Yellowstone, MT. Seems to be serving a full (or close) menu these days:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.6603206 ... 312!8i6656
Ennis, MT dairy barn (no longer a DQ it seems):
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3500037 ... 312!8i6656
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Then there is the question of Coke or Pepsi at the DQ....most of the new build DQs serve Coke (and the franchiser...American DQ...is owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, which has shares in Coca Cola) while a lot of the older DQs still pour Pepsi.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

jamcool wrote:Then there is the question of Coke or Pepsi at the DQ....most of the new build DQs serve Coke (and the franchiser...American DQ...is owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, which has shares in Coca Cola) while a lot of the older DQs still pour Pepsi.
I believe the 'official' DQ drink is Coke. Some older franchisees may be grandfathered into Pepsi. I've *never* seen Pepsi in a DQ. I would be willing to bet that Coke outnumbers Pepsi 3 to 1 in DQ locations.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Here's another seasonal location: Paris, IL. I have driven by this several times over the years, and seen it both closed and open. This was the first revelation I had that there were some DQ locations that closed in the winter, because in Texas that would be considered a sin. :)

Paris DQ
Super S

Post by Super S »

wnetmacman wrote:
jamcool wrote:Then there is the question of Coke or Pepsi at the DQ....most of the new build DQs serve Coke (and the franchiser...American DQ...is owned by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway, which has shares in Coca Cola) while a lot of the older DQs still pour Pepsi.
I believe the 'official' DQ drink is Coke. Some older franchisees may be grandfathered into Pepsi. I've *never* seen Pepsi in a DQ. I would be willing to bet that Coke outnumbers Pepsi 3 to 1 in DQ locations.
Most if not all locations around the Pacific Northwest have Pepsi. Including one near me that was closed for a bit as the owner decided to retire and sell. The new owner completely gutted and remodeled the inside but they still have Pepsi.