Burger King Buying Popeyes

storewanderer

Re: Burger King Buying Popeyes

Post by storewanderer »

I find Burger King to be the absolute bottom of the barrel fast food chain. They use microwaves to heat the burgers up. Nasty. I have watched them microwave burgers whole with lettuce. Well, one positive you can say about Burger King's processes is the forced conveyer belt style char broiler combined with the microwave's temperature should kill any potential for e-coli. The only foods I have consumed from Burger King in recent memory are some fries and a hot dog. Nothing is good from that place. Well, they did add brewed iced tea a couple years ago, so that is a positive. The locations are dirty, employees seem very unclean and uniforms in poor condition, and despite that the local franchisee remodeled all of the locations, somehow they still feel old and run down inside. They are also dirty and sticky feeling.
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I worked at a Burger King almost 20 years ago. Policy was that all beef burgers were to be microwaved, even if the patty hadn't spent any time in the holding steamer. Ironically this tended to make sandwiches made with a very fresh meat patty soggy because the juices from the patty would soak into the bottom of the bun while being microwaved.

Technically, it was OK to microwave ketchup, mustard and pickles, but lettuce, tomato and mayo was not supposed to go in the microwave. (We would microwave the bottom of the bun with the patty, but not the crown of the bun, where some of the veggies were placed).

I have no idea how procedures have changed over the past 20 years.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

It was officially announced that the parent of Burger King, Restaurant Brands, is buying Popeyes for $1.8 billion.

The fact that Burger King microwaves their burgers is a major reason why I fear for Popeyes. There is something about cutting corners that is totally unappetizing. If the parent company is wise at all, they would put the people in charge of Popeyes in command of Burger King and rejuvenate Burger King. Popeyes is doing something right in that they have quite a following. New leadership is something that Burger King desperately needs.

I have tried most of Burger King's new foods for the past few years, and nothing impressed me. I tried the Halloween burger with a black bun colored with tons of food coloring. It was horrifying in all the wrong ways. The side effects lasted for days. Then I tried their Chicken Fries Rings, which were like fried chicken donuts. Their Mac N Cheetos was a disappointing version of fried mac n cheese. Cheetos Chicken Fries were absolutely tasteless. The jalapeno chicken fries were ok, but the portion size was too small. I did not try the Whopperito, which was a combination of a Whopper and a burrito. Some things just go too far. Burger King has run out of ideas.

The only thing that caught my attention recently was when Baskin Robbins started using Dunkin Donuts for their Ice Cream sandwich. Crossing over items from different brands could be a good idea.

Burger King should take some items from its sister chains and offer them in its stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote:It was officially announced that the parent of Burger King, Restaurant Brands, is buying Popeyes for $1.8 billion.

The fact that Burger King microwaves their burgers is a major reason why I fear for Popeyes. There is something about cutting corners that is totally unappetizing. If the parent company is wise at all, they would put the people in charge of Popeyes in command of Burger King and rejuvenate Burger King. Popeyes is doing something right in that they have quite a following. New leadership is something that Burger King desperately needs.

I have tried most of Burger King's new foods for the past few years, and nothing impressed me. I tried the Halloween burger with a black bun colored with tons of food coloring. It was horrifying in all the wrong ways. The side effects lasted for days. Then I tried their Chicken Fries Rings, which were like fried chicken donuts. Their Mac N Cheetos was a disappointing version of fried mac n cheese. Cheetos Chicken Fries were absolutely tasteless. The jalapeno chicken fries were ok, but the portion size was too small. I did not try the Whopperito, which was a combination of a Whopper and a burrito. Some things just go too far. Burger King has run out of ideas.

The only thing that caught my attention recently was when Baskin Robbins started using Dunkin Donuts for their Ice Cream sandwich. Crossing over items from different brands could be a good idea.

Burger King should take some items from its sister chains and offer them in its stores.
I seem to remember a "Big King" in recent years that was like the McDonald's Big Mac. For what it's worth, I like new things, and ate most of the new things--the Halloween burger tasted weird because they added steak sauce to the burger/bun (steak sauce and lettuce always tastes bad) and while the "side effects" lasted for days, it was not painful, public, or permanent. The Mac N Cheetos was alright, portions were a bit small though. The Whopperito was weird but it did add some more spices that weren't in the Whopper, but you're right, their quality has gone down (Whopper Jrs. are more like sliders now) and novelty items aren't going to carry the chain.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote:It was officially announced that the parent of Burger King, Restaurant Brands, is buying Popeyes for $1.8 billion.

The problem with Burger King isn't so much with the food itself (which actually isn't bad if you get something fresh) but in the way it is prepared. Most fast food chains have moved away from pre cooking and assembling everything. Burger King is still stuck in the past. If Burger King addressed the way food is prepared it would be a big step forward.

There are certain items such as chicken that are cooked in big batches but there is a difference in keeping something warm versus storing it in a refrigerator and microwaving it.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Years ago I loved, LOVED, LOVED Burger king double cheeseburgers and bacon double cheeseburgers. I was out and about this weekend and, thanks in part to this thread, decided to order one. It was obviously pre-cooked and heated up. Not good AT ALL. So much for
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I typically try most "new" menu items at fast food places that are convenient to me. McDonalds, Jack in the Box, Carls, Del Taco, etc. Some pretty iffy items come and go; my favorite to poke fun at is the McDonalds fish bites... what were they thinking... the one where I am almost always happy with the new items is Carls; always very flavorful and flavors come together well.

Burger King, due to its microwave policy, and all around awful food, dirty restaurants and unkempt staff in Reno, NV, and items that do not even look very appetizing to me, is one that I never go try any new items from, despite that there are two locations very very convenient to me.

The press release says Popeyes will remain under separate management. Let's hope so... I don't think Burger King has messed up Tim Horton's either so there is hope.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote:Some pretty iffy items come and go; my favorite to poke fun at is the McDonalds fish bites... what were they thinking...

The press release says Popeyes will remain under separate management. Let's hope so... I don't think Burger King has messed up Tim Horton's either so there is hope.
Probably thinking that everyone loved their "chicken bites" (better known as McNuggets) and hoping they could duplicate that success with fish (since the fish sandwich was a good seller also).
One has to remember at the time McNuggets were created, not even the "chicken" chains like KFC had something like that - it was a totally new item.

Now - if they could get some of the better management to work their way into the BK side...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I ate at Burger King today. I tried a grilled chicken sandwich (minus the mayonnaise that they are so proud of). The sandwich was lukewarm and sort of dry. It was definitely not microwaved. I could not tell what kind of food holding/microwave situation they had. The lettuce was some chunks of culled up pieces that mostly fell off, but the tomatoes were good looking slices; the bun was soft. The taste of the chicken was actually quite good, much better than I expected, an above average grilled chicken sandwich. The fries were extremely salty, good tasting and fresh; crisp. The iced tea (brewed) was strong and tasted like it was made in a slightly unclean brewer but not too off putting. Actually I would go back again and order this meal. Service-wise my order was taken promptly and after I filled the drink the bag of food was on the end of the counter ready for me to take, so it was operating at the right speed.