Issues at Subway

storewanderer

Re: Issues at Subway

Post by storewanderer »

Subway inside TA Truck Stop in Mill City, NV closed and was walled off. The location still has a Taco Bell Express.

A few years ago the sit down restaurant and buffet and the motel rooms closed at this particular site.

This is a former Burns Bros stop.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Two more Subway restaurants in my area closed recently. One was in a very busy shopping center that used to be open until 11 PM at night. I was shocked. If they can't get enough business on a busy road, then they really are having problems.

I had to travel a mile to one at a mall. I was the only person in the restaurant on a busy Saturday. The sandwich was as bland and mediocre as ever. The only reason I went was because of a $5 off promotion. The only employee was hiding somewhere in the back as they didn't seem to be used to having actual customers.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Alpha8472 wrote: December 1st, 2018, 4:48 pm Two more Subway restaurants in my area closed recently. One was in a very busy shopping center that used to be open until 11 PM at night. I was shocked. If they can't get enough business on a busy road, then they really are having problems.

I had to travel a mile to one at a mall. I was the only person in the restaurant on a busy Saturday. The sandwich was as bland and mediocre as ever. The only reason I went was because of a $5 off promotion. The only employee was hiding somewhere in the back as they didn't seem to be used to having actual customers.
I went to a Subway about a month ago at around 8:30 PM, which did not close until 10. I encountered a similar situation, one employee, who was in a booth out front doing something on a laptop computer. The employee wasn't bothered at all and was actually very pleasant, and the sandwich was good for Subway. I only stopped there because I was traveling home, hungry, and this Subway was the first thing I saw getting off the freeway that looked ok.

I have been into a couple though where I stood at the counter for two minutes and the employee(s) were still in the back, so I left.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is a Subway in Reno on Kietzke Lane that has opened and closed so many times, I lost count. I drove by it this weekend and saw it is open again. It had been closed.

This is a former Popeyes building that closed as Popeyes in the mid 90's and seemed to start being a Subway sometime in the early 00's off any on. It has a drive through which is somewhat rare for a Subway.

There are two Subways over in Sparks, NV that have quite outrageous things going on. One is on Prater and the other is on Vista. A small drink is $2.89; 6 inch subs at 6.39 and footlongs at 8.29. They do not participate in any promotions/coupons and do not have particularly strong operations.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Has anyone else not been getting any Subway coupons in the mail. The ones I had expired and it seems like it's been about two or three month at least since they've sent any more. I haven't been in about that long because I usually won't do Subway without coupons.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

storewanderer wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 10:12 am There is a Subway in Reno on Kietzke Lane that has opened and closed so many times, I lost count. I drove by it this weekend and saw it is open again. It had been closed.

This is a former Popeyes building that closed as Popeyes in the mid 90's and seemed to start being a Subway sometime in the early 00's off any on. It has a drive through which is somewhat rare for a Subway.

There are two Subways over in Sparks, NV that have quite outrageous things going on. One is on Prater and the other is on Vista. A small drink is $2.89; 6 inch subs at 6.39 and footlongs at 8.29. They do not participate in any promotions/coupons and do not have particularly strong operations.
A former Popeye's sounds pretty big for a Subway. We got a Popeye's here last year in an older Wendy's building. Most Subways I've been to are quite small narrow and long storefronts with maybe 10 chairs and booths at most. I have been to a few that are deeper, with more seating in the back area. But none of them seem as big as the typical stand alone fast food restaurant.

Where I grew up, there was a Subway in a former Whataburger. That one had a drive through and outside seating under the awning.

The Subway I usually go to is usually quite busy during the lunch hour and people often are ordering multiple subs or salads too. It doesn't have a drive thru but it does have a walk up window for picking up orders. It's also quite narrow, tables and booths in front, then the counter and a long hallway to the restrooms, and the soda dispenser is in the hallway also which can be a little awkward given its narrowness.

This is an older location from the 80s and I believe had been a Subway since the strip mall its in was built.
Super S

Post by Super S »

cjd wrote: December 7th, 2018, 7:17 pm
storewanderer wrote: December 2nd, 2018, 10:12 am There is a Subway in Reno on Kietzke Lane that has opened and closed so many times, I lost count. I drove by it this weekend and saw it is open again. It had been closed.

A former Popeye's sounds pretty big for a Subway. We got a Popeye's here last year in an older Wendy's building. Most Subways I've been to are quite small narrow and long storefronts with maybe 10 chairs and booths at most. I have been to a few that are deeper, with more seating in the back area. But none of them seem as big as the typical stand alone fast food restaurant.

Where I grew up, there was a Subway in a former Whataburger. That one had a drive through and outside seating under the awning.

The Subway I usually go to is usually quite busy during the lunch hour and people often are ordering multiple subs or salads too. It doesn't have a drive thru but it does have a walk up window for picking up orders. It's also quite narrow, tables and booths in front, then the counter and a long hallway to the restrooms, and the soda dispenser is in the hallway also which can be a little awkward given its narrowness.

This is an older location from the 80s and I believe had been a Subway since the strip mall its in was built.
In Longview, WA, there is one standalone location which was built as a Subway, and actually received an expansion several years ago.

Since Subway doesn't really have a standard building design and operates in places such as strip malls and often moves into existing buildings, size is all over the place. Some are very small, almost like a broom closet. Others are actually quite roomy and spacious. Most locations with drive-thrus started life as something else and tend to have more seating.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Super S wrote: December 7th, 2018, 10:01 pm
cjd wrote: December 7th, 2018, 7:17 pm

In Longview, WA, there is one standalone location which was built as a Subway, and actually received an expansion several years ago.

Since Subway doesn't really have a standard building design and operates in places such as strip malls and often moves into existing buildings, size is all over the place. Some are very small, almost like a broom closet. Others are actually quite roomy and spacious. Most locations with drive-thrus started life as something else and tend to have more seating.
There's a store in College Station that has a drive-through and a separate line for the "pizzas" (and maybe the salads too), it used to be a small three-restaurant plaza with originally a Little Caesars and Baskin Robbins. Later on, as these closed or went out of business entirely (Baskin Robbins became a Smoothie King, then closed, Little Caesars became a Papa John's, then was renovated into a Rusty Taco, which closed after a year) Subway gutted the building to be one large Subway. I think the Subway did remain open most if not all of the under construction, too. It's 3000 square feet and open 24 hours.
Super S

Post by Super S »

A new thing I have noticed are Subway locations in Oregon and Washington closing earlier than their posted time with no explanation. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours early. These aren't the odd locations, some are in prime locations near main roads. I get when they might close early for weather etc. But the ones I have seen had no obvious reason for closing early. A store like Subway should still be open at 8:30 PM. Especially when the posted closing time is 10 PM.

The inconsistency of this chain really is out of hand.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: March 8th, 2019, 9:14 am A new thing I have noticed are Subway locations in Oregon and Washington closing earlier than their posted time with no explanation. Anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 1/2 hours early. These aren't the odd locations, some are in prime locations near main roads. I get when they might close early for weather etc. But the ones I have seen had no obvious reason for closing early. A store like Subway should still be open at 8:30 PM. Especially when the posted closing time is 10 PM.

The inconsistency of this chain really is out of hand.
So far this year in Reno/Sparks, Subway has closed some locations. I can think of 5 locations offhand that have closed since the beginning of the year. These locations are of at least 3 different franchisees.

There are a couple others that closed then reopened under new ownership.

I do notice they send coupons out in the mail every week or two now. But some locations do not honor the coupons (some of those have closed...).