Green Burrito gone?

SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Green Burrito gone?

Post by SamSpade »

We have talked in the past about changes at Carl's Jr. In this market, stores that had a "Green Burrito" presence are dropping the signs and menu items. It has allowed the modernized Jr logo to appear, though.

I'm not sure if this is nationwide, regional, or local. Some Hardee's restaurants sold Red Burrito items.
storewanderer

Re: Green Burrito gone?

Post by storewanderer »

I noticed this in Sacramento too. A couple locations that previously had Green Burrito (like a month ago), no longer have it. The store locator still shows those locations as having Green Burrito but they do not. The signs are removed, old menu panels are blank, and drive through directional signs put black tape over the Green Burrito logo.

Green Burrito is quite good but at 1.99 for a crunchy ground beef taco that is not much larger than the under $1 versions at Del Taco or Taco Bell, the value proposition is pretty tough.

But I still noticed some other locations that had Green Burrito. These are all the same franchise and used to be corporate owned sites. I thought maybe the franchisee is struggling (from how the stores are being run and how cleanliness has tanked in the stores, it sure looks it). But perhaps this is a more widespread move.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

SamSpade wrote: February 4th, 2018, 5:32 pm We have talked in the past about changes at Carl's Jr. In this market, stores that had a "Green Burrito" presence are dropping the signs and menu items. It has allowed the modernized Jr logo to appear, though.

I'm not sure if this is nationwide, regional, or local. Some Hardee's restaurants sold Red Burrito items.
Now that you mention this, we had a new Hardee's open in Carencro, LA two weeks ago. It does not have the Red Burrito items as the other locations I've been to recently do (2 in Lafayette, one in New Iberia, and one over in Port Allen, by Baton Rouge). I thought that it was interesting that we didn't get one, but maybe it was intentional now that I'm seeing this. Another location opened in Breaux Bridge this week that also doesn't have the RB items.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Carl's Jr. opened a handful of Texas locations in the last five years or so but they haven't done so well and have basically scrapped all further expansion programs. There was even a store in Waco that was owned by Carl's Jr. and later leased to Whataburger for years after Carl's Jr. left the first time, but upon Whataburger moving out, it was instead leased to Popeyes. As for Green Burrito, only one store I know of, Bastrop, opened with it, and still has it AFAIK.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Carls has seriously declined in quality over the past 4-5 years. Dirty restaurants are the norm; added to their already slow service times and high prices, the whole thing has just gotten pretty bad.

Here in Reno, the Carl's prices are so high it is almost like a joke. 21oz drink is 2.19. The BBQ Chicken Sandwich is 5.99 (the one with a chicken patty, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomato). Breakfast burritos are well over $4.

They do have those $5 boxes but the quality of the burger in that $5 box is pretty bad, and a portion of 3 onion rings?

I have gone to some places where the Carls still have fair prices, like Utah or even Washington, though, in the past year.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2018, 9:30 pm Carls has seriously declined in quality over the past 4-5 years. Dirty restaurants are the norm; added to their already slow service times and high prices, the whole thing has just gotten pretty bad.
I agree there pricing is pretty bad. I don't usually pay much attention to pricing at fast food restaurants but a couple months ago I went to a Carls Jr. near my office and ordered a small soda and a chicken sandwich and it was almost $12. This is an urban location that depends on a lot of business customers so I could see it being a little higher but that was crazy.

In their defense the sandwich was better and bigger than anything available at McDonald's or Burger King.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: February 7th, 2018, 5:34 pm
storewanderer wrote: February 6th, 2018, 9:30 pm Carls has seriously declined in quality over the past 4-5 years. Dirty restaurants are the norm; added to their already slow service times and high prices, the whole thing has just gotten pretty bad.
I agree there pricing is pretty bad. I don't usually pay much attention to pricing at fast food restaurants but a couple months ago I went to a Carls Jr. near my office and ordered a small soda and a chicken sandwich and it was almost $12. This is an urban location that depends on a lot of business customers so I could see it being a little higher but that was crazy.

In their defense the sandwich was better and bigger than anything available at McDonald's or Burger King.
I believe the Carls franchisee in my area is actually a SoCal franchise that somehow ended up with the locations here and I understand the same pricing is being applied to both markets.

Carls Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are the best in the business, especially with their very good western bbq sauce (from the kitchen, not the prepack one) added. The wheat bun also adds to create a unique flavor profile. When I was in high school about 16 years ago Carls ran coupons for that BBQ Chicken and a Small Fry for 1.99. I can't speak for the chicken sandwich at McDonald's (wrote off their chicken after enough poor snack wraps) but I did have a Burger King Grilled Chicken Sandwich about 10 months ago and I was surprised it was actually edible and quite decent (I had very low expectations but was short on time and it was that or a Starbucks for choices); I think the combo was about $8 out the door, this was in rural Nevada.