McDonald's to Remodel 92nd & Powell Location?

StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

McDonald's to Remodel 92nd & Powell Location?

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

PORTLAND, OREGON: Supposedly, McDonald's is to close down both their locations on 92nd & Powell, the chain's third oldest location in the city, and build a new one in its place, but due to rather stormy weather having occurred on the original planned date (February 20), the project has been delayed, at least for now...
https://pdx.eater.com/2018/1/26/1693813 ... demolition

I can only hope and pray at this point this remodel will not be indefinitely postponed (you know, the "as part of a careful evaluation of our growth strategy..." thing)!

The original building that is to be torn down originally opened in August 1962, and was initially closed in October 1980 when a new building was built just west.

~Ben
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: McDonald's to Remodel 92nd & Powell Location?

Post by babs »

It's a shame they can't save the original restaurant. I do hope it gets postponed forever!
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Everything I've seen in the last decade has mostly indicated two things:
- They REALLY don't like mansard roof restaurants. There were many from the 1970s or 1980s that had gotten a 2000s repaint (painting usually brown brick to red and white) that have since been torn down but I've even seen examples from 2005 get remodeled.
- They don't like "themed" restaurants and/or ones that serve unique items. I remember one from 2004 that had a full Blue Bell ice cream counter.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote: March 7th, 2018, 6:57 am Everything I've seen in the last decade has mostly indicated two things:
- They REALLY don't like mansard roof restaurants. There were many from the 1970s or 1980s that had gotten a 2000s repaint (painting usually brown brick to red and white) that have since been torn down but I've even seen examples from 2005 get remodeled.
- They don't like "themed" restaurants and/or ones that serve unique items. I remember one from 2004 that had a full Blue Bell ice cream counter.
There were a few in the Pacific Northwest that were serving Tillamook ice cream as well. I personally think the mansard roof buildings look nicer than the "box" design of the new/remodeled buildings.

McDonalds had a period where they were going retro on some newer restaurants, even reproducing the arches in the buildings like the 92nd & Powell location. One such location opened at 99th Street & I-5 in Vancouver, but it has since been remodeled to the box style.

Retro doesn't always work though. Vancouver, WA based Burgerville went retro on new building designs during the 1990s, but found that it was costly to remodel older locations and that format was abandoned, although some of the retro style ones are still open.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote: March 7th, 2018, 9:24 am There were a few in the Pacific Northwest that were serving Tillamook ice cream as well. I personally think the mansard roof buildings look nicer than the "box" design of the new/remodeled buildings.

McDonalds had a period where they were going retro on some newer restaurants, even reproducing the arches in the buildings like the 92nd & Powell location. One such location opened at 99th Street & I-5 in Vancouver, but it has since been remodeled to the box style.

Retro doesn't always work though. Vancouver, WA based Burgerville went retro on new building designs during the 1990s, but found that it was costly to remodel older locations and that format was abandoned, although some of the retro style ones are still open.
The Clackamas location at 15960 SE 82nd Drive, just north of Highway 212, is another example of a 1980s McD's that was remodeled to include the retro Golden Arches.

~Ben
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

They have at least one (may be more) of the rest areas on the Massachusetts Turnpike where when they rebuilt them it looks like a larger version of the original arched building.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

I would hate to see any kind of news that this location may just simply be closed after the present lease ends... as in McD's would rather focus on their more profitable locations in the area.

~Ben
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Wrong thread- delete.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

There's a McDonald's on Evergreen Way in Everett that was built as a "retro" McDonald's with the arches. I'm guessing it was built some time around the late Nineties to early 2000s.

Can't really see it on street view because of the trees, but here's an overhead view.
The pictures must be fairly old because it still shows a Kmart that has been closed for several years: https://www.google.com/maps/@47.926681, ... a=!3m1!1e3
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Demolition of the two older buildings has been going on for this location since a week ago!

~Ben