Wendy's to serve breakfast in all locations in 2020

BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Wendy's to serve breakfast in all locations in 2020

Post by BillyGr »

Understandable why they would want to do just drive thru, but then sometimes they cause unanticipated issues.

Last week, passing by one of the few Wendy's in the area around lunchtime, they were so busy (they are now the only fast food on this street - 2 BK's and a McDonalds have closed over the years, with just one McDonalds left a few miles off on another road) that the line at drive thru was starting to have cars stopped in the roadway. Luckily it's a 4 lane road, and with the lighter traffic, moving to the left lane wasn't an issue to pass those waiting, but in some places it could cause problems.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: April 27th, 2020, 10:30 am Understandable why they would want to do just drive thru, but then sometimes they cause unanticipated issues.

Last week, passing by one of the few Wendy's in the area around lunchtime, they were so busy (they are now the only fast food on this street - 2 BK's and a McDonalds have closed over the years, with just one McDonalds left a few miles off on another road) that the line at drive thru was starting to have cars stopped in the roadway. Luckily it's a 4 lane road, and with the lighter traffic, moving to the left lane wasn't an issue to pass those waiting, but in some places it could cause problems.
I think in a lot of cases they are not maintaining staffing levels to run the front counter and run drive through. It takes a lot less staff to have fewer service channels. It also allows the staff to better distance from each other while working since there are fewer of them on duty, and not work as closely together.

The past week in my area fast food places are extremely busy. I think people are sick of this quarantine, sick of supermarket shopping and buying their own food, and quite desperate for any food they can get out.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The deals at fast food restaurants are really getting desperate. You can get a free spicy chicken sandwich at Wendys with a mobile order. That might be increasing the drive thru crowds. Even the Jack In The Box app has some good everyday deals with 2 jumbo jack cheeseburgers for $3. There are free items all the time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:42 pm The deals at fast food restaurants are really getting desperate. You can get a free spicy chicken sandwich at Wendys with a mobile order. That might be increasing the drive thru crowds. Even the Jack In The Box app has some good everyday deals with 2 jumbo jack cheeseburgers for $3. There are free items all the time.
I noticed Chickfila has cut its operating hours in my area. I'm not sure what but I drove by around 9 PM last night and it was all dark and closed. The Raising Canes a few blocks away had about 10 cars lined up in its drive through right after I drove by Chickfila. I guess bland but steaming hot and juicy chicken strips are really popular.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:42 pm The deals at fast food restaurants are really getting desperate. You can get a free spicy chicken sandwich at Wendys with a mobile order.
I've certainly been taking advantage of these deals. I've got a few free Whoppers on the BK app as well and a Taco Bell free taco the other day (although TB's promotions of the sort are much more ordinary). Between that and the free food I've been getting at work every day (Costco) who is supplying us with tons of free food and snacks, I've cut my food budget down so much).
I can't believe the spicy chicken sandwich is $5 regularly at my Wendy's...it is okay, but certainly isn't worth it for that price.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: April 30th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: April 28th, 2020, 9:42 pm The deals at fast food restaurants are really getting desperate. You can get a free spicy chicken sandwich at Wendys with a mobile order.
I've certainly been taking advantage of these deals. I've got a few free Whoppers on the BK app as well and a Taco Bell free taco the other day (although TB's promotions of the sort are much more ordinary). Between that and the free food I've been getting at work every day (Costco) who is supplying us with tons of free food and snacks, I've cut my food budget down so much).
I can't believe the spicy chicken sandwich is $5 regularly at my Wendy's...it is okay, but certainly isn't worth it for that price.
That Spicy Chicken goes as high as 5.49 in CA. In my area there are 3 Wendys franchisees and one prices it 4.29, one 4.79, and one 4.99. I think the 4.29 price point is about right...

What is interesting however is Wendys carries an item called a spicy chicken go wrap (which all franchisees here price at 1.99). This is 1/2 spicy chicken piece, tortilla, ranch dressing, lettuce, and shredded cheese. If you use their app you can "swap" the tortilla for a bun but that seems to REALLY confuse them. So you can sort of get the same thing if you order two of those... and pay 3.98.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's is not serving most salads, no wraps, no double or triple patties, and lots of items are out of stock. Why can't you just put another patty on the burger? This is rationing.

The menu has tons of items crossed off. Is salad some kind of coronavirus risk. Do they make the salad in store?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 4th, 2020, 8:28 pm Wendy's is not serving most salads, no wraps, no double or triple patties, and lots of items are out of stock. Why can't you just put another patty on the burger? This is rationing.

The menu has tons of items crossed off. Is salad some kind of coronavirus risk. Do they make the salad in store?
I have noticed poorly stocked bagged salad cases in various supermarkets. I wonder if there is a supplier issue or if a supplier shut down. I suspect the produce washing, chopping, and bagging business is probably way down with all of the restaurant closures.

No double or triple patties is definitely rationing. Do they limit how many items you can order too?

I wonder how this works if you order through their app.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I tried the app at several nearby locations and they are now totally out of burger patties. There is no beef at all. I only see chicken.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Wendy's is taking beef off the menu in some restaurants in California, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

McDonald's is limiting some beef, but has not taken all beef off the menu yet.