McDonalds and re-opening inside

storewanderer

Re: McDonalds and re-opening inside

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: February 27th, 2021, 10:25 am The QSRs are going to a new store design that emphasizes eating out, not eating in....drive thru, take out, delivery services like Doordash (with dedicated lanes), with limited indoor seating. Fewer employees, easier to keep sanitized, easier to heat and cool. That trend was beginning pre-virus, along with the the “ghost kitchens”
I am okay with all of this but where I really am not happy is with the "drive through only" policy in place currently at many QSRs. I prefer to walk in and take out the order, vs. forced through a drive through. I have even gone to QSRs I don't really like lately (Raising Cane's) because they let you walk in and do a take out while avoiding ones I like much better (Popeyes) that are drive through only.

However I do find it somewhat curious McDonalds and Wendy's have pushed franchisees to spend a lot of money remodeling restaurants and a good chunk of that process is to remodel the customer "dine in" area. In the past few months in my area one Wendys (late 70's Wendys- high volume unit that needed some real work) and one McDonalds (mid 00's McDonalds which was already in great shape) have gotten the major remodel. Actually the McDonalds that got the remodel- they did not touch the exterior but did a full job on the customer area of the interior and nothing at all to the employee prep area of the interior (and reopened it for about 3 days after they finished, then closed it again).
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

storewanderer wrote: February 27th, 2021, 11:10 am
jamcool wrote: February 27th, 2021, 10:25 am The QSRs are going to a new store design that emphasizes eating out, not eating in....drive thru, take out, delivery services like Doordash (with dedicated lanes), with limited indoor seating. Fewer employees, easier to keep sanitized, easier to heat and cool. That trend was beginning pre-virus, along with the the “ghost kitchens”
I am okay with all of this but where I really am not happy is with the "drive through only" policy in place currently at many QSRs. I prefer to walk in and take out the order, vs. forced through a drive through. I have even gone to QSRs I don't really like lately (Raising Cane's) because they let you walk in and do a take out while avoiding ones I like much better (Popeyes) that are drive through only.

However I do find it somewhat curious McDonalds and Wendy's have pushed franchisees to spend a lot of money remodeling restaurants and a good chunk of that process is to remodel the customer "dine in" area. In the past few months in my area one Wendys (late 70's Wendys- high volume unit that needed some real work) and one McDonalds (mid 00's McDonalds which was already in great shape) have gotten the major remodel. Actually the McDonalds that got the remodel- they did not touch the exterior but did a full job on the customer area of the interior and nothing at all to the employee prep area of the interior (and reopened it for about 3 days after they finished, then closed it again).
IMO, the fact that they are remodeling the interior customer areas is a good sign. That means they don't believe this will last forever, and that people will go out again. (Sorry but I have a big problem with this anti-social, hide at home bubble living. It's not healthy for society to want to hide from each other forever and do everything at home.)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

cjd wrote: February 27th, 2021, 12:54 pm IMO, the fact that they are remodeling the interior customer areas is a good sign. That means they don't believe this will last forever, and that people will go out again. (Sorry but I have a big problem with this anti-social, hide at home bubble living. It's not healthy for society to want to hide from each other forever and do everything at home.)
It is a great time to remodel the interior customer areas when the areas are not in use. Nobody wants this to last forever.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited a busy Walmart McDonald's in the San Francisco Bay Area that just reopened for indoor dining. It was a crowded mess. There was barely any room to move as people waited for their food just inches away from unmasked people eating, talking, coughing, and sneezing. It is allergy season.

The demand for McDonald's food is higher than ever now that they allow you eat in the store.

There are some tables that are taped off and not open for sitting, but there is hardly any space for people to walk by in the aisles.

This is a superspreader event for sure. Not only that, but now customers are taking off their masks and walking around the store drinking sodas or eating.

Many other Walmart McDonald's have closed including supercenter locations. The Walmart stores are busy, but apparently McDonald's is not interested in non-drive-thru locations now.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on April 18th, 2021, 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I went to a full service restaurant for dine in one time since this pandemic started, a few weeks ago. I also ate in at a deserted El Pollo Loco multiple times which I won't count since it was deserted. Actually I went in there the other night and there were three tables occupied with families, the most I've seen all year.

In the restaurant, the policy was mask on whenever you leave your table. Otherwise masks were off at all times. The menu at this chain was cut in half from the previous menu pre-pandemic, portions seemed like they were a bit larger, prices seemed the same, and service was noticeably slower. Also one server handled us the whole time after we were seated by the front greeter- taking the order, bringing out the food, clearing the plates, and handling the check. Previously at this particular chain you would see a runner bring out the food and usually a different employee than your server clear the plates. Also when I asked for a to-go container the container was brought out to the table for me to pack up on my own. Previously this place took the plate to the back and packed it up for you. I actually prefer packing it myself.

Still no updates on McDonalds re-opening inside in my area. Same as before- some locations did reopen for take out, some didn't. I have yet to see one that allows dine in or has the order kiosks turned on around here.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: April 17th, 2021, 11:16 pm In the restaurant, the policy was mask on whenever you leave your table. Otherwise masks were off at all times.
That's the same rules that NY has had since they started allowing dine in back in June of 2020.