Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Post by Brian Lutz »

As of tomorrow, the states of Indiana and Florida have now removed all Coronavirus-related restrictions on restaurants and bars. In Florida there are still provisions in place where county and local governments can reduce capacity to 50% if they can prove that there is a need to do so, but at this point there will be no more statewide restrictions. It seems likely more states will follow as well.

Without getting into the politics involved, it will be interesting to see how the restaurants themselves respond to this. I suspect that even without statewide restrictions in place a lot of places will maintain their own restrictions, at least for a while. There still seem to be a lot of people skittish about eating out right now, and it will probably take a while for things to normalize even as COVID-19 declines.
pseudo3d

Re: Lifting of Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants

Post by pseudo3d »

Brian Lutz wrote: September 25th, 2020, 3:02 pm As of tomorrow, the states of Indiana and Florida have now removed all Coronavirus-related restrictions on restaurants and bars. In Florida there are still provisions in place where county and local governments can reduce capacity to 50% if they can prove that there is a need to do so, but at this point there will be no more statewide restrictions. It seems likely more states will follow as well.

Without getting into the politics involved, it will be interesting to see how the restaurants themselves respond to this. I suspect that even without statewide restrictions in place a lot of places will maintain their own restrictions, at least for a while. There still seem to be a lot of people skittish about eating out right now, and it will probably take a while for things to normalize even as COVID-19 declines.
I can't believe California didn't reopen interior dining until this month, for Texas 25% started back in May, I think, and with the mask mandate, masks are required still unless you're actually at a table.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to a Chevy's last night in Union City, California, and the wait time was 45 minutes just to get an outside table. Part of the parking lot was converted to outdoor dining with umbrellas for shade. It was actually very nice as they put up decorated walls and had a tropical Hawaiian grass hut theme. However, the customers were sitting inside waiting for outdoor tables. Does this not defeat the purpose of outdoor dining being stuck inside with strangers barely 6 feet apart for 45 minutes?

I am hesitant to try indoor dining even if sitting 6 feet apart. If people want to take the risk, that is up to them. However, I do believe that there will be increases in COVID-19 cases.

I don't have a problem with reopening, but I do find it scary when people are indoors without masks. Masks limit the spread and should be encouraged. Any time around unmasked people is dangerous.
Super S

Post by Super S »

Here in Washington, a few restaurants have set up temporary outdoor dining areas. I don't see many using them. We had the recent wildfires where intense smoke lingered for about a week, and are now in rainy/windy season. This just isn't going to work in this area...I expect these to quietly disappear.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Given it is almost November, outdoor dining is going to need some heaters or something to work during the evening and in rainy climates it is going to be tough, but still possible with good enough canopies.

I am noticing some restaurants now closing at 7 PM or 8 PM now that used to close at 10 PM. Seems kind of early. I'm not sure if those are firm closing times or "last seated by" times or flexible depending on business.

I am supportive of the states lifting the Coronavirus restrictions on restaurants (and other businesses). The businesses have had enough time at this point to make their own rules and precautions and customers can make the decision if they are comfortable patronizing the business or not. These precautions have been pretty fuzzy from the start.

I do think if there was ever a time that an indoor ban on smoking in public places could get pushed through nationwide, this is it. People smoking don't wear a mask and are throwing out serious amounts of germs. Some states still allow smoking in restaurants.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: September 25th, 2020, 6:18 pm I can't believe California didn't reopen interior dining until this month, for Texas 25% started back in May, I think, and with the mask mandate, masks are required still unless you're actually at a table.
California reopened interior dining in May and it was a disaster. The rate of new infections, hospitalizations and deaths exploded. So, they had to shut that down until the new case growth is less than 1 in each county (It's a SCIENTIFIC goal, not a political goal made by people who know nothing about science as has happened in other states).

Last time I checked the only counties in Southern California that had a new case load of less than 1 were San Diego and Orange counties, both of which are open for indoor dining.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think all restaurants need to cover the plates, etc. when they are being transported between the kitchen and the tables. If this virus is so easily in the air, it would appear that may help make the food safer for those who are interested in going to indoor restaurants.

Or those who kind of have to go to indoor restaurants because their work requires them to travel and they are burnt out on drive throughs and eating in the car.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The danger from COVID is not from surfaces. It is mostly when it enters the lungs. So transmission from surfaces is probably very low.

I have noticed that people are much more receptive to outdoor dining in Northern California as the weather is very nice and the humidity is low. The wildfire smoke has disappeared for the past week or so. It has not rained much in what seems like months. Many restaurants have tent like structures that cover the entire outdoor eating area. Black Angus has what looks like a giant inflatable bounce house with covered outdoor dining. In N Out has giant umbrellas over their tables. I have seen many flaming outdoor heaters, but those are mostly for decoration.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 11:22 pm The danger from COVID is not from surfaces. It is mostly when it enters the lungs. So transmission from surfaces is probably very low.
Very true. That wasn't known for sure in the beginning of the epidemic but seems to be the general consensus now.
Alpha8472 wrote: September 27th, 2020, 11:22 pm I have noticed that people are much more receptive to outdoor dining in Northern California as the weather is very nice and the humidity is low. The wildfire smoke has disappeared for the past week or so. It has not rained much in what seems like months. Many restaurants have tent like structures that cover the entire outdoor eating area. Black Angus has what looks like a giant inflatable bounce house with covered outdoor dining. In N Out has giant umbrellas over their tables. I have seen many flaming outdoor heaters, but those are mostly for decoration.
They're also very receptive to outdoor dining in Southern California. I was surprised that even Palm Springs is doing it on a large scale. A lot of restaurants have installed big misting systems and they work very well as long as you're in the shade. The restaurants I went to also had the large heating lamps that they will need at night in a month or two.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Indoor dining is back in Northern California. I was shocked that restaurants are doing indoor dining again at 25 percent capacity.

Most people still want to dine outdoors. I am still not comfortable to eat indoors.

Fast food restaurants are still not doing indoor dining. They are doing drive thru and takeout in most places. Some of them still have closed dining rooms. I suspect there are homeless trespassing issues.
Last edited by Alpha8472 on October 7th, 2020, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.