Friendly's Files For Bankruptcy

Alpha8472

Friendly's Files For Bankruptcy

Post by Alpha8472 »

Friendly's filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. This is the second time it has done so in a decade. The last time was 2011.

https://bestlifeonline.com/friendlys-fi ... yahoo-feed
storewanderer

Re: Friendly's Files For Bankruptcy

Post by storewanderer »

I wondered why Safeway NorCal discontinued the Friendly's Sundae Cups. Perhaps unrelated as I would expect the Friendly's brand to live on for ice cream after the bankruptcy is figured out even if the restaurants do not. The 2.50 price point they had was pretty steep given those are a dollar store item back east, but Safeway had sales a lot (2.00, 1.50, .99, buy 1 get 1 free). I noticed the last batches I bought this summer all have November expirations at the latest so wasn't surprised to see them discontinued back in September.

Wal Mart still has Friendly's Sundae Cups but they are "cake" Sundae cups and sold out of the freezer in the bakery at 1.97 or 1.98 each.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Friendly's Files For Bankruptcy

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: November 5th, 2020, 10:16 pm I wondered why Safeway NorCal discontinued the Friendly's Sundae Cups. Perhaps unrelated as I would expect the Friendly's brand to live on for ice cream after the bankruptcy is figured out even if the restaurants do not. The 2.50 price point they had was pretty steep given those are a dollar store item back east, but Safeway had sales a lot (2.00, 1.50, .99, buy 1 get 1 free). I noticed the last batches I bought this summer all have November expirations at the latest so wasn't surprised to see them discontinued back in September.

Wal Mart still has Friendly's Sundae Cups but they are "cake" Sundae cups and sold out of the freezer in the bakery at 1.97 or 1.98 each.
Yes, they separated the ice cream from the restaurants a few years back (maybe the past bankruptcy) so that won't be affected by this one. Actually, it sounds like most of the restaurants will stay open as well after being sold to another company.