Burger King $1 Menu

Alpha8472

Re: Burger King $1 Menu

Post by Alpha8472 »

Many Pizza Huts in the San Francisco Bay Area recently closed. There are so many abandoned Pizza Huts. The closest is 30 minutes away.

The new logo is nostalgic, but it doesn't make me want to go there any more than before.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

Many of the older 70s and 80s iconic Pizza Hut locations in my area have moved into new strip mall shopping center locations in the last couple of years. They are mainly carryout operations similar to Domino's or Little Caesar's. Very little seating in a small space.

The full service one in my town is still open, but carry out only at the moment. I hope they don't decide to relocate because I really liked the buffet. Only issue is it was always so busy during lunch that they could not restock it fast enough.

We really need a Cici's here... It would make a killing with all the families around.

There is another full service one remaining in another town that is relatively new, probably 15 years old or less.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Meh. At my local BK (the only one left in the area), every single item on the “new” value menu has been selling at that price for quite awhile. The only exception is the small fry, which was reduced to $1. However, they upped the price of a Rodeo Burger from $1 to $1.89 (which means you’re paying $1 for a squirt of BBQ sauce and a couple onion rings), the 8-piece chicken nugget ($1) was discontinued, and an ice cream cup went from $1 to $1.99. Better enjoy those frys!
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

cjd wrote: January 16th, 2021, 3:54 pm Many of the older 70s and 80s iconic Pizza Hut locations in my area have moved into new strip mall shopping center locations in the last couple of years. They are mainly carryout operations similar to Domino's or Little Caesar's. Very little seating in a small space.

The full service one in my town is still open, but carry out only at the moment. I hope they don't decide to relocate because I really liked the buffet. Only issue is it was always so busy during lunch that they could not restock it fast enough.

We really need a Cici's here... It would make a killing with all the families around.

There is another full service one remaining in another town that is relatively new, probably 15 years old or less.
I recently stopped at the Pizza Hut near my parent’s house (for a pick up order). I hadn’t been in it since I was in elementary school, nearly 30 years ago — we got free food vouchers for having good grades, which is the only reason we ate there to begin with. Holly molly! The place hadn’t changed one bit. Even then POS systems were old, with the bulky green & black monitors. I bet they were taking orders with a dial up modem, probably why it took so long to get my order to me.

I’m not a huge fan of Pizza Hut, but anything is better than CiCi’s. Yes, even those dollar pizzas in your grocer’s fridge - give me Jack’s any day.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

My God, Pizza Hut, Cici's, Little Caesar's, Domino's---basically you've named 4 chains with horrible food that shouldn't exist.

But that also explains why they cannibalize each other's market in a pandemic and why they'll be vulnerable to the next pizza fad---design your own---once the pandemic lifts. Those places make it assembly line style, in front of you, like Chipotle. Some are much better than any of these places--I stopped at one in Pittsburgh that actually was pretty good, except the crust got rather hard as it cooled off. DC's &pizza has done very well and expanded rapidly---the pizza is totally forgettable, but still a little better than Cici's or Domino's and the concept appeals to a lot of people.

Many independent pizzeria's rely on takeout anyway, so I assume that that the best of them will survive or at least survive better than a lot of the chains.
Super S

Post by Super S »

The problem with Burger King is that they still do a lot of pre-cooking instead of making things to order. Especially breakfast items. I don't know how many times I received a breakfast sandwich which was hot on the outside but ice cold on the inside....clearly reheated in a microwave. Burger King is actually not bad when you can get fresh food, but that is increasingly rare in my area. Some convenience stores actually have better food.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Design-your-own pizzas have been around for quite a while here. MOD Pizza got its start in this area, and I've been a regular customer since they had only three locations (they now have 400+ locations across the US, Canada and the UK.) The product is generally very good, but also rather expensive compared to some of the other pizza chains (about $9 for a personal size pizza, which is more than a lot of the other places charge for a large with whatever promos they happen to be running) so it tends to be rather expensive to feed more than a couple of people. I haven't tried many of the other design-your-own pizza chains (mostly because none have tried to expand into this area which is thoroughly covered by MOD Pizza) but was less than impressed with the one time I tried Blaze Pizza.

Even though these places are proving to be quite popular, if they were going to have much of an effect on the big chains it would have happened years ago. Sure places like Dominos, Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's (I don't quite lump Cici's into the same category because they seem to be closer to a Chuck E Cheese type "Arcade with pizza" place than a carryout/delivery type place) don't have great pizza, but it's still a fairly cheap way to feed a lot of people quickly, which is where a lot of the business comes from.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 20th, 2021, 6:28 am The problem with Burger King is that they still do a lot of pre-cooking instead of making things to order. Especially breakfast items. I don't know how many times I received a breakfast sandwich which was hot on the outside but ice cold on the inside....clearly reheated in a microwave. Burger King is actually not bad when you can get fresh food, but that is increasingly rare in my area. Some convenience stores actually have better food.
Burger King food seems to be fresh from the microwave. In the few times I've eaten there in the past 5 years, only once was I satisfied with my meal. And I was shocked I was satisfied with it.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Brian Lutz wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:33 am Design-your-own pizzas have been around for quite a while here. MOD Pizza got its start in this area, and I've been a regular customer since they had only three locations (they now have 400+ locations across the US, Canada and the UK.) The product is generally very good, but also rather expensive compared to some of the other pizza chains (about $9 for a personal size pizza, which is more than a lot of the other places charge for a large with whatever promos they happen to be running) so it tends to be rather expensive to feed more than a couple of people. I haven't tried many of the other design-your-own pizza chains (mostly because none have tried to expand into this area which is thoroughly covered by MOD Pizza) but was less than impressed with the one time I tried Blaze Pizza.

Even though these places are proving to be quite popular, if they were going to have much of an effect on the big chains it would have happened years ago. Sure places like Dominos, Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's (I don't quite lump Cici's into the same category because they seem to be closer to a Chuck E Cheese type "Arcade with pizza" place than a carryout/delivery type place) don't have great pizza, but it's still a fairly cheap way to feed a lot of people quickly, which is where a lot of the business comes from.
For all the crap Domino's takes: they charge $10 for a large, three topping pizza -- $8 if you pick it up yourself. "Premium" pizza chains charge double... and it isn't that much better. We're not talking about microwaved pizzas from 7-11...
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

[/quote]

For all the crap Domino's takes: they charge $10 for a large, three topping pizza -- $8 if you pick it up yourself. "Premium" pizza chains charge double... and it isn't that much better. We're not talking about microwaved pizzas from 7-11...
[/quote]

I feel bad for you if you think this inedible stuff is a "bargain". Even in college and grad school when every penny counted, I avoided these places as did almost everyone I knew.

Re; upthread---Mod and &pizza seemed to put the Cici's near my workplace out of business, so they don't seem to be immune to to the make it your self competitors.

Cici's, btw, is in bankruptcy: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/26/investin ... index.html