Restaurants using Coca-Cola "Freestyle" machines

Super S

Restaurants using Coca-Cola "Freestyle" machines

Post by Super S »

Several restaurant chains in my area have installed the new Coca-Cola "Freestyle" fountain soda dispensers. Most notably Burger King, but also Taco Time, and I even encountered one of these when I ate at an Ivar's in Everett, WA a few weeks ago. I have been told that some Burgerville locations now have them as well. However, I rarely eat at Burgerville.

I have yet to see these in convenience stores which offer fountain pop.

The big thing about the machines is the ability to dispense 100+ flavors.

I absolutely HATE these machines for several reasons. First and foremost is that the pop from these machines has a weird taste to it. Not just Coke, but also Sprite, Root Beer, and others. I have encountered this in every restaurant that has these. I am not sure if this is a design issue, or if the machines do not receive proper maintenance, or what, but I guess after a while if those different flavors come out of the machine through one spout, then that certainly could alter the taste after a while.

Also, I have noticed that, as folks serve themselves from these machines, they have difficulty using them. I have seen people hit a button, fill their cup completely, then dump it out and pick another flavor, sometimes 3 or 4 times. This is aggravating when you stop in to get something to go and there is only one of these machines available during the lunch hour.

Lastly, I have commented several times to management of the various restaurants about the strange taste, only to be told "there is nothing we can do to fix that."

I am just curious if Coca-Cola is planning to completely eliminate the traditional dispensers with these machines? I sure hope not. It's pretty bad when store brand pop tastes better than what is served in a restaurant. Pepsi could have a big advantage here if enough people complain. Nearly everybody I talk to has commented on the weird taste of the pop.
Alpha8472

Re: Restaurants using Coca-Cola "Freestyle" machines

Post by Alpha8472 »

What happens is that the tubes that the soda runs through absorbs the flavor of other sodas. In regular soda machines each soda has separate tubes so that the flavors do not mix. In the new machine, all the sodas run through the same tube and this causes the flavors to mix.

Root beer for example, soaks into the tubing. The tubing will forever have a strong root beer aftertaste that will contaminate all flavors. This is just the nature of root beer and its strong flavor that soaks into the tubing.

It is not possible to have 100 separate tubes to keep the flavors from mixing and contaminating each other.

Luckily, these Freestyle machines are very expensive and the cost will keep most fast food chains from adopting them. In time, the costs and complaints from customers will eventually make these chains dump them. At first, the machines attract curious customers to sample tons of soda flavors. However, there is a ton of waste. People try a full cup of soda and then dump it out. Once the chains realize how much soda they are losing, these Freestyle machines will get dumped. It is simple math, and once those big chains figure it out, these machines will be gone.

Freestyle machines are a temporary fad.

However, 7-Eleven has many stores that feature soda machines where you can add your choice of 3 flavor shots. I believe it was lemon, vanilla, and cherry. However, these machines all have separate tubes and that keeps the sodas tasting great. The Freestyle machine has the lemon, vanilla, and cherry flavor but it all comes out in the same tube.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Saw my first one of these personally last week in Cooperstown, NY at a place called Batter's Up restaurant. The place has been recently sold and remodeled and I was very surprised to see one of these in a non-chain setting. As an aside, didn't look like it was seeing much use either.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Quite a few places here have these now. I think virtually all Taco Time restaurants have switched to these, as have all the Five Guys in the area and at least some Burger Kings and Fatburgers. I've also seen them in a couple of independent places as well.

I actually prefer these to the regular fountains because I have to avoid caffeine as much as possible (any amount of the stuff will cause me problems with sleeping,) which means that I frequently have at most one or two drink choices at many restaurants. I have noticed that things don't taste quite they way they would out of a fountain at times, but it doesn't bother me much. If I had to guess, I'd probably attribute the flavors more to the concentration of the syrups and other ingredients than anything else.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Moe's have them as well (they have for a while - I think they might have been a "test" group for them).

Haven't noticed them at any other locations locally, but it's possible.

Not sure if they would be as likely to show up in many full service places, since it would be harder to advertise all the choices on a menu if you didn't see the machine?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What I would suggest is prior to putting your cup under the nozzle, make your selection and let it run into the drip tray for a while then move your cup under the nozzle (don't let it stop running).

The machines spout out some water between "flavors" to supposedly wash out the old taste but I do not think it always fully washes out the old taste.

I have seen these machines at Safeway and Fuddruckers too.

Not much of a soda person so I can't comment on the taste. I have noticed many people do not seem to know how to use the machines and I know anything touch screen is a costly repair bill waiting to happen.
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

Although some of the buzz is wearing off now that these machines are becoming more widespread, they still help draw more traffic to the businesses that have them. I also agree that some of the "normal" sodas have kind of a weird taste to them, but it's usually very subtle.

So far around here, only some of the fast-casual places have them (Qdoba, Pei Wei, etc.). They really haven't made their way into fast-food places like Burger King yet.
Forum Moderator
VibeGuy
Cashier
Cashier

Post by VibeGuy »

I, too, swear the Sprite and Sprite Zero are off - too lemony!

That said, I'm a huge fan, despite my blood type being Sprite Zero - I eschew caffeine and caloric beverages, so I'm finally able to get a fizzy drink with my meal in more locations. Ironically, Claim Jumper has Sprite Zero on tap, which runs kinda counter to their strategy of feeding people to death.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have been to two Wendy's locations that have installed these machines over the last few months. And just like everywhere else, the pop tastes funny. I really don't get the hype of the machines. Yes, you can create custom flavors and have multiple choices, but when I want a Coke I expect it to taste like a Coke. Not a Barq's/Sprite/orange/cherry/diet/grape/lemonade/etc. plus Coke. Fortunately there are plenty of restaurants serving Pepsi, as well as some still serving the normal fountain Coke products.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by cjd »

They are not particularly popular in my area. Burger King has them and DQ at one location. I agree on the odd taste from the machines.

To me the machines cause traffic issues. First because you typically there's only one Freestyle per location, where most places like McD's will have two soda fountains. Secondly, you often get people who don't know how to use them even now that they've been around. In some cases I find to select several options that aren't available.