Westfield sells Vancouver Mall, and four other malls

Super S

Westfield sells Vancouver Mall, and four other malls

Post by Super S »

http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/dec/ ... -old-name/

I don't consider Westfield a bad operator, as they did do a pretty thorough remodel a few years back, but they did make a few odd changes to the Vancouver Mall. Among them was the lengthy name originally "Westfield Shoppingtown Vancouver Mall" (which is now gone) And one other change I don't understand was placing escalators at only the ends of the mall while removing the ones toward the center. That makes for a long walk if an anchor store closes (along with the escalators inside), which has happened twice now with the closures of Mervyn's and Nordstrom, and could potentially happen if Sears goes which is not out of the question. As for the remaining anchors, Macy's probably isn't going anywhere, especially since they did a huge expansion and remodel right as the Meier & Frank name went away. JCPenney could go either way since they built a new freestanding store in East Vancouver a few years ago.

Vancouver Mall in particular is in an interesting position in that it serves a pretty big customer base, but is also located close to tax-free Oregon which impacts things such as appliance sales and other big-ticket items. A lot of retail has popped up in the last few years on the south end of Interstate 205, just across the Oregon border, and Jantzen Beach just had a major redevelopment.

I also find it interesting that Westfield seems to be slowly getting rid of the smaller malls in the area such as Vancouver Mall and Olympia's Capital Mall, but is hanging on to the big ones such as Seattle's Southcenter Mall. For now anyway.
pseudo3d

Re: Westfield sells Vancouver Mall, and four other malls

Post by pseudo3d »

The "Shoppingtown" names were dropped about 10 years ago. Even before it was sold, Northwest Plaza did get the new "Westfield Northwest" name. I find it odd that they renamed the old Fox Valley Center (later Westfield Fox Valley) to Fox Valley Mall. :?
Super S

Re: Westfield sells Vancouver Mall, and four other malls

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:The "Shoppingtown" names were dropped about 10 years ago. Even before it was sold, Northwest Plaza did get the new "Westfield Northwest" name. I find it odd that they renamed the old Fox Valley Center (later Westfield Fox Valley) to Fox Valley Mall. :?
That is correct. Toward the end it was simply called "Westfield Vancouver Mall." A week ago I was down there and noticed that they (as in the state or whoever maintains road signs) even covered up the Westfield name on a green freeway road sign along I-205.