Montgomery Ward

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Montgomery Ward

Post by Super S » July 30th, 2015, 9:10 am

Montgomery Ward has come back in the form of an online-only retailer. I took a look at their website www.wards.com and got the impression that there are no plans to go back to operating retail stores again. From what I can tell, they don't have a huge online sales presence, after all, the original Wards went out of business and there are people who remember that and are hesitant. But I have to wonder, with the recent struggles with Sears and JCPenney, if this could open the door to Wards coming back as a traditional retailer at some point. Sears, and to a lesser extent JCPenney, do leave voids as they close in some areas. Wards was a similar store to both in many categories, at least until JCPenney did away with hardlines.

submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Montgomery Ward

Post by submariner » July 30th, 2015, 8:51 pm

That's actually been up for quite a few years now, since about 2004. It's almost eerie.

cjd
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cjd » September 30th, 2018, 12:23 pm

I know a few years later, but I had a look. Everything looks expensive. Looks like they offer payment terms with their own card. Maybe it's something like Rent A Center or buy here pay here.

It was interesting how some of the items are branded exclusively Montgomery Ward though.

Super S
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by Super S » November 9th, 2018, 10:22 am

I don't think their site is very well known, and people are probably a little leery about ordering from a name that closed all of their retail stores. I took another look today and just did not see anything there I would order.