Southeastern Grocers refocusing Harvey's Supermarket banner

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Southeastern Grocers refocusing Harvey's Supermarket banner

Post by Knight »

Southeastern Grocers is refocusing its Harvey's Supermarket stores into a limited assortment/discount grocer with service departments. Store 2601, Commonwealth Shopping Center, 1012 Edgewood Avenue North, Jacksonville, Florida 32254-2324, is the first of these stores.

Further reading
"Winn-Dixie store on Westside remade into Harveys." The Florida Times-News. 2016-05-04.
pseudo3d

Re: Southeastern Grocers refocusing Harvey's Supermarket banner

Post by pseudo3d »

Sounds like they're trying to weed out the worst/dated of the W-D stores by converting them to another concept. Probably a good idea, but it always strikes me as problematic when a company tries to push the low-end stuff and/or salvage stuff that should've closed instead.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Harveys under Delhaize was more of a discount format.

Harveys in its current form seems to be a high priced version of Winn Dixie with fewer/different specials, primarily located in small towns, doing business in Food Lion-like stores (translation: very small perimeter departments).

The best option would be if Food Lion would simply take these stores back. Food Lion is a MUCH better operator than Harveys/Winn Dixie/Bi Lo/whatever other names they have.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

pseudo3d wrote:Sounds like they're trying to weed out the worst/dated of the W-D stores by converting them to another concept. Probably a good idea, but it always strikes me as problematic when a company tries to push the low-end stuff and/or salvage stuff that should've closed instead.
Southeastern Grocers may have fewer stores to worry about. There is speculation Bi-Lo is exiting North Carolina; the Charlotte, North Carolina, region; and northeastern (Florence and Myrtle Beach) South Carolina. Five stores in Charlotte, North Carolina, and Florence, Georgetown, and Horry counties of South Carolina may be in the process of closing and/or being sold.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I found a Bi Lo in Charlotte somewhere maybe 8 or so minutes from downtown. There is a fairly large "quarter" of Charlotte with no Harris Teeter.

The Bi Lo was the usual for this chain. Not stocked real well and high priced. Perimeter departments were just really unappealing. The physical facility was fairly nice; open, exposed celings. Some wall letters were missing. The decor probably looked modern in the late 1990's. The layout kind of reminded me of a Giant-PA Store but not quite. The store had somewhat decent traffic, there didn't seem to really be any other conventional grocery stores nearby. I think I saw an Aldi. http://www.yelp.com/biz/bi-lo-charlotte-6?osq=bi+lo

I wonder who would buy these stores...? I think these are already largely garbage stores passed up by Publix when they bought a group of Bi-Los in Charlotte in what I presume were the more upper middle class neighborhoods.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

storewanderer wrote:I wonder who would buy these stores...? I think these are already largely garbage stores passed up by Publix when they bought a group of Bi-Los in Charlotte in what I presume were the more upper middle class neighborhoods.
Several Bi-Lo stores in North Carolina and South Carolina that could be sold are in good trade areas. They can be salvaged by other supermarket participants who want additional stores and are increasing their market share.

Publix has acquired nine Bi-Lo stores in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee to date. One store in Murfressboro, Tennessee, was replaced. The other stores were renovated, remodeled, and rebuilt. I could see Publix acquiring select Bi-Lo stores in North Carolina and South Carolina.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Harvey's Supermarkets are now affiliating with the Plenti card group and encouraging their customers to drop the 'classic' Harvey's loyalty card for the Plenti one. Gas discounts apply at Exxon and Mobil stations.
Customers can earn FREE gas and groceries

NASHVILLE, Ga. – For more than 90 years, Harveys Supermarket has been the local grocer that customers can count on for all their grocery needs. Continuing on the grocer’s nearly century-long commitment to provide quality, service and value to each and every customer, Harveys Supermarket announced Wednesday the launch of Harveys Rewards with Plenti. Harveys joins 11 other brands in the Plenti program, the first U.S.-based loyalty coalition, operated by American Express. The program offers members numerous ways to earn points and use them to save on the things they already shop for every day, regardless of the payment method used. Beginning Oct. 19, customers throughout all Harveys locations in Georgia will be able to upgrade to a Harveys Rewards with Plenti card and earn across multiple brands, including free gas and groceries whenever they buy gas and groceries. For more information, visit www.harveyssupermarkets.com/plenti.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

SamSpade wrote:Harvey's Supermarkets are now affiliating with the Plenti card group and encouraging their customers to drop the 'classic' Harvey's loyalty card for the Plenti one. Gas discounts apply at Exxon and Mobil stations.
Customers can earn FREE gas and groceries

NASHVILLE, Ga. – For more than 90 years, Harveys Supermarket has been the local grocer that customers can count on for all their grocery needs. Continuing on the grocer’s nearly century-long commitment to provide quality, service and value to each and every customer, Harveys Supermarket announced Wednesday the launch of Harveys Rewards with Plenti. Harveys joins 11 other brands in the Plenti program, the first U.S.-based loyalty coalition, operated by American Express. The program offers members numerous ways to earn points and use them to save on the things they already shop for every day, regardless of the payment method used. Beginning Oct. 19, customers throughout all Harveys locations in Georgia will be able to upgrade to a Harveys Rewards with Plenti card and earn across multiple brands, including free gas and groceries whenever they buy gas and groceries. For more information, visit http://www.harveyssupermarkets.com/plenti.
There is a rumor that all of Southeast Grocers may join in. Winn Dixie's card is old and tired; it once got some real deals, but recently has been more of a hassle than a help. Maybe Plenti will right that ship a little.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Harvey's Supermarkets is a test banner with Plenti as it has fewer and enough stores to experiment with the partnership. If Plenti is successful, it should replace card programs at BI-LO, Fresco y Más, and Winn-Dixie.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Apparently about a week ago, SEG converted over 70 Winn-Dixie and BI-LO stores into Harveys, including six in Jacksonville alone, literally overnight [http://www.winn-dixie.com/about/press]. I guess in some respects it may be a way to purge dated stores from the chain as they try to remake the stores' images, but to me, sets off a lot of warning bells when a chain tries to do something like this.

With not nearly the amount of remodels SEG was supposed to do on Winn-Dixie, I'm starting to think that SEG doing a round of sales or closings is a very real possibility. With Mississippi only having 14 stores and the continued decay of Winn-Dixie stores west of the Mississippi River, I can see a forecoming scenario where Winn-Dixie's stores only go so far as mid-Alabama with a tiny island of Winn-Dixie stores in New Orleans that will last as long as the rest of the chain does.