Southeastern Grocers refocusing Harvey's Supermarket banner

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Southeastern Grocers refocusing Harvey's Supermarket banner

Post by Knight »

wnetmacman wrote: Kroger operates in Jackson, Tupelo, Vicksburg and along the US-78 corridor from Memphis east, as well as other stores throughout the state. They do not operate south of I-20.
If Kroger's Delta Division is operating approximately 106 stores, it should increase store count. The Harris Teeter division is a good case study how to increase store count.
wnetmacman wrote: I'm kind of torn. If Harvey's is doing as well as they say it is, it may be a good idea to invigorate the store base this far west. I don't see it as a long term solution for these stores.
Southeastern Grocers can say BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie are doing well. Closing stores and closing pharmacies in underachieving stores tell a different story.
klkla

Post by klkla »

It looks like they are converting more stores to the Fresco Y Mas format today:
http://supermarketnews.com/store-design ... -new-sites

From the article regarding strategy:

“If you’re operating across multiple markets, ‘one-size-fits-all’ is like a one size fits none,” McLeod told SN during a tour of the renovating store Tuesday. “What I believe we have to do, given that we have stores across multiple markets and multiple demographics, is be considerate about how we serve each of those individual communities. While you can’t have 750 different banners, you can have more than one.”

Fresco Y Mas is the Hispanic-focused entrant in a multi-format strategy espoused by McLeod, that combines elements of others also introduced by Southeastern this year: Namely the focus on prepared foods and unique assortments at the upmarket conversions of Winn-Dixies in affluent Jacksonville and Tampa communities; and the value (and energetic bright yellow indoor color scheme) of the Harveys stores primarily serving African American shoppers in the deep South.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

The five Fresco y Más stores that were previously Winn-Dixie:
  • Fresco y Más #221, 2675 South Military Trail, West Palm Beach, Florida 33415-7549
  • Fresco y Más #231, 5850 Northwest 183rd Street, Hialeah, Florida 33015-6023
  • Fresco y Más #239, Bird Square Plaza, 14555 Southwest 42nd Street, Miami, Florida 33175-7826
  • Fresco y Más #286, Trail Plaza, 948 Southwest 67th Avenue, Miami, Florida 33144-4761
  • Fresco y Más #361, Westlake Plaza, 15050 Southwest 72nd Street, Miami, Florida 33193-2301
I wonder if Publix will respond with additional Publix Sabor stores.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote:It looks like they are converting more stores to the Fresco Y Mas format today:
http://supermarketnews.com/store-design ... -new-sites

From the article regarding strategy:

“...(and energetic bright yellow indoor color scheme) of the Harveys stores primarily serving African American shoppers in the deep South.
One could also describe a downed power line as "energetic." Still wouldn't want to go near one.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Harvey's Supermarkets serves African Americans in the deep south? That is a bad stereotype. Americans of African descent shop at other grocery stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote:Harvey's Supermarkets serves African Americans in the deep south? That is a bad stereotype. Americans of African descent shop at other grocery stores.
Yeah, I thought that it seemed mildly racist to divide the stores against racial lines (what, is Winn-Dixie "whites only" now?) but even if that's true, then at least a few W-D stores in Mississippi would flip. My guess is that the new Harveys and Fresco y Mas that got reflagged are last gasp attempts to turn around the stores and they won't stick around.