Louisiana Flood Damage

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Louisiana Flood Damage

Post by wnetmacman »

I was reading an article on the Shelby Report this morning where they had interviewed Donny Rouse about his family's store in Denham Springs, LA. If you haven't seen the photos, this store is part of a new shopping center called Juban Crossing, just east of town along I-12. Here it is during the flood; Rouses is the store in the upper right on the line closest to the cross street:
dsjcflooded.jpg
While it was still flooded, Donny went to the store and took a video. It's pretty rough inside. Here is a link to that. It's only 30 seconds, but you can see how high the water got in the store.

In the Shelby article, Donny mentions that the store's inventory alone has a loss value of $1.5 million. The store will need all new cases and equipment. With other repairs, the rebuilding will cost another $4 million!

Shelby Report story about Denham Springs

Also in Juban Crossing is Belk, Academy, Bed Bath & Beyond, Old Navy and several others. They all sat pretty much level. This shopping center is only a year and a half old.

(I do live in Louisiana, but my house and town fared pretty well compared to this; some of the places that never flood did during this event. Rouses, unlike many of the residents, did have flood insurance.)
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Louisiana Flood Damage

Post by wnetmacman »

Here's a video of all of Juban Crossing:

Juban Crossing Drone Footage
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I know Central, LA got flooded, wonder how the Oak Point Fresh Market (former Kroger Greenhouse/Sav-a-Center) did. Also it's surprising that Rouses built a store in Denham Springs again, my records indicate that they took over a National closer to the downtown area but closed it sometime in the mid-2000s.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

wnetmacman wrote:Here's a video of all of Juban Crossing:

Juban Crossing Drone Footage

Wow, that's pretty awful.

Good to hear you are okay.

Stay safe and good luck to you and yours.

:)
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:I know Central, LA got flooded, wonder how the Oak Point Fresh Market (former Kroger Greenhouse/Sav-a-Center) did. Also it's surprising that Rouses built a store in Denham Springs again, my records indicate that they took over a National closer to the downtown area but closed it sometime in the mid-2000s.
The Oak Point Market is a little further north. It may have flooded, but I haven't seen any pictures of it. Denham Springs is making the news because 90% of homes and businesses were flooded. That's big. The tallies include almost every shopping destination, including Rouses, Walmart, Home Depot, Bass Pro Shops, Academy, Belk and MANY others.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:Also it's surprising that Rouses built a store in Denham Springs again, my records indicate that they took over a National closer to the downtown area but closed it sometime in the mid-2000s.
When they ran that store, it wasn't successful because, quite succinctly, Rouses wasn't the company they are now. Their purchase of the Sav-A-Center stores from A&P propelled their sales through the roof. They now have money, where at that time, they didn't put a lot into the stores they acquired. Because of that, it wasn't successful. This new store had surpassed expectations until Friday when it flooded.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:I know Central, LA got flooded, wonder how the Oak Point Fresh Market (former Kroger Greenhouse/Sav-a-Center) did. Also it's surprising that Rouses built a store in Denham Springs again, my records indicate that they took over a National closer to the downtown area but closed it sometime in the mid-2000s.
The Oak Point Market is a little further north. It may have flooded, but I haven't seen any pictures of it. Denham Springs is making the news because 90% of homes and businesses were flooded. That's big. The tallies include almost every shopping destination, including Rouses, Walmart, Home Depot, Bass Pro Shops, Academy, Belk and MANY others.
That really is rough, especially as the area seemed to be really growing even when the economy sucked. Looks like downtown got flooded too, where Albertsons is.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:That really is rough, especially as the area seemed to be really growing even when the economy sucked. Looks like downtown got flooded too, where Albertsons is.
The pictures I've seen of Denham Springs show that the Albertsons, which sits on a high spot, was completely spared.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Supermarket News mentions retailers launching Louisiana flood relief programs with the notable exception of Albertsons, which had launched a program as well (like the Houston floods and Randalls, they partnered with a local news station). [http://www.fox10tv.com/story/32770044/j ... od-victims]
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Pretty much every business that was not affected, and large chains with stores in the affected areas, are doing something to help. A local hardware and lumber chain, Stine out of Lake Charles, specifically opened its Walker, LA store and stocked with flood relief supplies just for the recovery. Walker is about 4 miles from Denham Springs, but was also affected.