Brookshire converting stores

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Brookshire converting stores

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I saw an article that Brookshire Grocery Company is converting its stores in Natchitoches from the legacy brand (Brookshire's) to Super 1 Foods. Brookshire's has been in Natchitoches for 49 years. One of the stores is the original (which means it's 49 years old). The other store is an Albertsons I watched during its construction in 1998-99. It was a nice store when it was new; I can't imagine how it will convert.

Here is a link. I wonder how many others will convert. Historically, BGC has converted several stores over the years, but never a whole town like this.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Brookshire converting stores

Post by architect »

wnetmacman wrote:I'm not sure how widespread this is, but I saw an article that Brookshire Grocery Company is converting its stores in Natchitoches from the legacy brand (Brookshire's) to Super 1 Foods. Brookshire's has been in Natchitoches for 49 years. One of the stores is the original (which means it's 49 years old). The other store is an Albertsons I watched during its construction in 1998-99. It was a nice store when it was new; I can't imagine how it will convert.

Here is a link. I wonder how many others will convert. Historically, BGC has converted several stores over the years, but never a whole town like this.
I am honestly surprised by this move, or at least the fact that they are converting BOTH stores. Although the Super 1 Brand has been extremely successful in Louisiana, I am convinced that downgrading both stores (where there will be more in direct competition with Walmart) will actually turn away customers, who are looking for a more "formal" grocery shopping experience, especially in a town which retains vestiges of southern charm.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Interesting. Super 1 Foods does seem to be the store pulling the chain but I don't think that they should bank on that. Wonder if they'll outright eliminate the Brookshire name for Fresh by Brookshire or Super 1 Foods. It also makes me wonder what they really want to do with Spring Market. When a chain can't make a number of locations work, it should at least raise a couple of red flags if anyone else can.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

architect wrote:I am honestly surprised by this move, or at least the fact that they are converting BOTH stores. Although the Super 1 Brand has been extremely successful in Louisiana, I am convinced that downgrading both stores (where there will be more in direct competition with Walmart) will actually turn away customers, who are looking for a more "formal" grocery shopping experience, especially in a town which retains vestiges of southern charm.
I am thinking much of the same thing about changing both. Natchitoches is indeed a town of extreme habit and history; I lived there from 1993-2000. The little old ladies who want their groceries carried out like they always have been will be in for a huge shock. Changing the former Albertsons isn't that much of a stretch to me; it's across the street from Northwestern State University; there's always been a lot of college traffic to it. Changing the old store will cause problems and could cost business, though I doubt it, as they are the only game in town other than Walmart and a Save-A-Lot that took over the old A&P.
pseudo3d wrote:Interesting. Super 1 Foods does seem to be the store pulling the chain but I don't think that they should bank on that. Wonder if they'll outright eliminate the Brookshire name for Fresh by Brookshire or Super 1 Foods. It also makes me wonder what they really want to do with Spring Market. When a chain can't make a number of locations work, it should at least raise a couple of red flags if anyone else can.
When I worked for BGC in 1990 at store #612, one of the truck drivers said that he didn't much care for the Super 1 stores (there were only 12 at the time) because unlike the Brookshire's stores that got 2 half trucks a week, the Super 1 stores got a full truck each night, which had almost tripled their workload. I can only imagine what they're doing with 35-40 stores now. I would say that while Super 1 can't carry the chain, it does a big business. Also, the Spring Market stores they carefully picked are almost without fail the only game or close to it in each town they're operating in. Walmart was making a profit on them, just not a Walmart standard profit. They have very high standards to keep a concept running. The stores I've been in were fairly busy.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Stores that have been converted:

Longview, TX S. High St.; Former Brookshire's #4
Marshall,TX East End; Former Safeway/Brookshire's #24
Hope, AR
McKinney, TX (I believe it was also a former Safeway)
Corsicana,TX (was also a Safeway) converted from the lone Ole Foods
Tyler, TX W. Loop 323 (originally in a former Kmart, but moved to a Brookshires that was in a former Albertsons)

Places where stores were torn down:
Shreveport, LA Waggoner Blvd.
Bossier City, LA
Longview, TX E. Marshall (Brookshire's #11, now Super 1 Foods #612)

That's 9 stores at the moment. Only Ennis was shut down as a Super 1, and relocated to a new Brookshire's store. #606 in Longview moved to a new building and the existing store was taken over by Brookshire's #45, which didn't last long.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:Stores that have been converted:

Hope, AR
Tyler, TX W. Loop 323 (originally in a former Kmart, but moved to a Brookshires that was in a former Albertsons)

Bossier City, LA

That's 9 stores at the moment. Only Ennis was shut down as a Super 1, and relocated to a new Brookshire's store. #606 in Longview moved to a new building and the existing store was taken over by Brookshire's #45, which didn't last long.
The Corsicana store has been a Super 1 for a few years now, long before the "Is Brookshire's Selling Itself" drama.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:
wnetmacman wrote:Stores that have been converted:

Hope, AR

Bossier City, LA

The Corsicana store has been a Super 1 for a few years now, long before the "Is Brookshire's Selling Itself" drama.
All of the stores I listed here were historical conversions, not recent ones. Longview was in the mid 90's; it was one of the first conversions. Marshall was around 1998.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Here's 4 more conversions in Pine Bluff, AR.

Pine Bluff story

These four were all former Harvest Foods stores that BGC bought in the 90's. They were previously Safeway, as a part of the Little Rock division.

With the two stores in Natchitoches, plus these four, and two under construction in Scott and Youngsville, LA, there will be 42 Super 1 Foods stores.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

wnetmacman wrote:Here's 4 more conversions in Pine Bluff, AR.

Pine Bluff story

These four were all former Harvest Foods stores that BGC bought in the 90's. They were previously Safeway, as a part of the Little Rock division.

With the two stores in Natchitoches, plus these four, and two under construction in Scott and Youngsville, LA, there will be 42 Super 1 Foods stores.
I wonder if these conversions are a trial for phasing out their flagship banner outside of major markets (such as Tyler and Shreveport)? By transitioning to the Super 1 Foods brand, a perception of lower prices can be created which might be difficult to do otherwise. On the other hand, this could also drive away customers who often shopped at Brookshires to avoid the "low brow" side of Walmart.

Interestingly, ever since Brad Brookshire took over, the flagship Brookshires locations have also been undergoing a large lower-prices marketing campaign, complete with red shelf tags denoting lowered prices. Unfortunately, this effort has resulted in lower prices on certain specific items, but still high pricing overall. In many ways, this campaign reminds me of SEG's "Down Down." It also feels extremely gimmicky, with pennant flag strings being strung between the parking lot light standards, and tacky hanging signage throughout the stores.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

architect wrote:I wonder if these conversions are a trial for phasing out their flagship banner outside of major markets (such as Tyler and Shreveport)? By transitioning to the Super 1 Foods brand, a perception of lower prices can be created which might be difficult to do otherwise. On the other hand, this could also drive away customers who often shopped at Brookshires to avoid the "low brow" side of Walmart.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is indeed the case. He has been adamant about keeping the company going under his family's ownership. He did recently sell off Southwest Dairy to Hiland, but that's a move many retailers are taking.
architect wrote:Interestingly, ever since Brad Brookshire took over, the flagship Brookshires locations have also been undergoing a large lower-prices marketing campaign, complete with red shelf tags denoting lowered prices. Unfortunately, this effort has resulted in lower prices on certain specific items, but still high pricing overall. In many ways, this campaign reminds me of SEG's "Down Down." It also feels extremely gimmicky, with pennant flag strings being strung between the parking lot light standards, and tacky hanging signage throughout the stores.
It may be an attempt to slowly win over Brookshire customers to Super 1 without them knowing it's happening.