Food City expansion into Alabama and North Carolina?

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Food City expansion into Alabama and North Carolina?

Post by Knight »

I was reading the article "Food City turns 100: Supermarket chain grows, adapts to changing industry trends" in Times Free Press about Food City celebrating 100 years, its investment in BI-LO stores in Georgia and Tennessee acquired from Southeastern Grocers in 2015, and plans for new stores.

An interesting idea in the article:
The company will open a new store in Fort Oglethorpe next year along with a second store in Dalton, and Smith said he could see expansion into North Carolina or Alabama in the years ahead.
I wonder how Food CIty could expand into Alabama and/or North Carolina. Expansion into North Carolina will lead to further competition with supermarkets Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, Lowe's Foods, and Publix. Expansion into Alabama would lead to competition with supermarket Publix.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Food City expansion into Alabama and North Carolina?

Post by wnetmacman »

Knight wrote: December 14th, 2018, 9:58 am I wonder how Food CIty could expand into Alabama and/or North Carolina. Expansion into North Carolina will lead to further competition with supermarkets Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Ingle's, Lowe's Foods, and Publix. Expansion into Alabama would lead to competition with supermarket Publix.
I don't know about NC, but in Northeastern Alabama, there is a large, underserved area out there. Gadsden, Fort Payne and some of the other smaller towns really aren't served by any other large grocer than Walmart. It's a prime opportunity, if you ask me.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Food City expansion into Alabama and North Carolina?

Post by Knight »

I doubt Food City will expand into North Carolina. Food City could expand into North Carolina by acquiring a competitor, or by being acquired by a competitor based in North Carolina.

I will note Food City and Black Mountain, North Carolina-based Ingle's operate in similar markets.

Northeastern Alabama is an opportunity for additional store locations. Gone are BI-LO and Food World. Present are Publix with limited locations, Walmart Supercenter, limited assortment/discount grocers, and independents.