Older Publix stores still operating?

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
cjd
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Older Publix stores still operating?

Post by cjd »

I'd be interested to know what the oldest Publix operating is or the one with the oldest interior.

The former Publix here was built in 1960, and as of 1998 was mostly original. It may have had some expansions and work done in the 1970s, and the decor was probably updated about 1990 or so. But it was still very retro and old looking. In 1998-99 they did a big expansion and complete remodel. It had a decor update around 2006 and 2010. In 2016 it got replaced with a new store in the same spot.

A Publix I used to shop at in college around 2007-08 was built in the 1980s. It may have had a decor update sometime in the early 90s. That one was replaced by an Albertson's that Publix bought in 2008 or so. I was rather disappointed when I first shopped in that store, because I expected an updated Publix. Instead, Publix simply painted over Albertson's decor and changed out their department lettering for their own! Nothing else changed except the checkout counters. I was surprised Publix would do so little. I was never a big fan of Albertson's decor, and to be fair that was one of the last stores to be built with the maroon and gray decor so it was already quite dated when it opened.

That store since got remodeled with new refrigeration and flooring around 2010 and has again gotten a new decor update a year or two ago. They also took out Albertson's strip lighting and replaced with LED recessed panels with that decor update.

Publix did a big expansion campaign around here in 2016-18, where they moved into some new towns and replaced existing locations in others, so there are no other older stores left in my region.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Older Publix stores still operating?

Post by Knight »

I have heard the oldest store remaining in operation is Publix #50, Southdale Shopping Center, 828 Southern Boulevard, West Palm Beach, Florida 33405-2530. Publix #50 has expanded throughout its existence.

Another older store that has remained untouched from the exterior is Publix #91, 1045 Dade Boulevard, Miami Beach, Florida 33139-1509. Publix 91 is considered the last "wing" store as the center front of the store has wings.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Knight wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:20 pmAnother older store that has remained untouched from the exterior is Publix #91, 1045 Dade Boulevard, Miami Beach, Florida 33139-1509. Publix 91 is considered the last "wing" store as the center front of the store has wings.
It's interesting that they have another newer store just four blocks away. I wonder if they plan on closing the older store in the near future?
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

klkla wrote: March 9th, 2021, 4:39 pm
Knight wrote: March 9th, 2021, 3:20 pmAnother older store that has remained untouched from the exterior is Publix #91, 1045 Dade Boulevard, Miami Beach, Florida 33139-1509. Publix 91 is considered the last "wing" store as the center front of the store has wings.
It's interesting that they have another newer store just four blocks away. I wonder if they plan on closing the older store in the near future?
Publix #621, 1920 West Avenue, Miami Beach, Florida 33139-1434, opened in 1998. It has coexisted with Publix #91 for 23 years. Both stores are constantly busy.

I doubt Publix #91 will close because of the the business it does.