[CONFIRMED] Albertsons FL converting to Safeway

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

[CONFIRMED] Albertsons FL converting to Safeway

Post by pseudo3d »

According to Albertsons Florida Blog, an "anonymous tipster" claimed that for whatever reason, renovations on the Florida Albertsons were halted and began to convert to Safeway stores instead, complete with a "Safeway look and feel", with the stores converting by January 1, 2016.

First off, I don't know if that's true. Conversions by January 2016 seem like a lofty goal, and sudden business decisions are almost never good ones, plus it might upset the few Albertsons loyalists in Florida.

On the other hand, Albertsons Florida is a has-been and was not going anywhere; plus, like the Oak Harbor Safeway, they'll keep the "best of" features.

First off, do you think it's true? Secondly, will it work if it is real?

UPDATE 1/13: Confirmed, see recent news reports
Last edited by pseudo3d on January 13th, 2016, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super S

Re: [UNVERIFIED] Albertsons FL converting to Safeway

Post by Super S »

I have a hard time believing this. Except for the fact that the Albertsons name has been tarnished in Florida in recent years.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

Unless Albertsons is trying to see if a new name attracts shoppers, I would seriously doubt this all together. There are no Safeways within 500 miles of the Florida stores, so there would be no name recognition, except from retirees who would, undoubtedly, not have the best taste for any name they would put on it.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I don't see Albertsons changing the FL stores to the Safeway banner. Especially when the new company has been named "Albertsons Companies" and is run predominately by Albertsons executives.

What I can see is them possibly adopting a "lifestyle like" interior decor instead of the current Albertsons LLC decor package similar to what was done in Oak Harbor but not changing the physical banner.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Those stores are a remote island so really they can do whatever they want with them. What would be interesting to see would be if they decided to convert those locations over to Safeway then start to build new Safeway Stores in Florida. Like a 10 store per year expansion plan (would just be a drop in the bucket for them).

Publix is a very over-hyped chain. They are a good store but they are not that good. There is probably an opportunity for a well run well priced competitor. Safeway is neither well run nor well priced so I don't think they are the best answer but they are sure better than the other competitor in Florida (Winn Dixie) so they would probably provide Publix a little more competition than it currently has...
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

The owner of the Albertsons Florida Blog removed the post about stores converting to Safeway:

http://albertsonsfloridablog.blogspot.c ... t-has.html
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote:Those stores are a remote island so really they can do whatever they want with them. What would be interesting to see would be if they decided to convert those locations over to Safeway then start to build new Safeway Stores in Florida. Like a 10 store per year expansion plan (would just be a drop in the bucket for them).

Publix is a very over-hyped chain. They are a good store but they are not that good. There is probably an opportunity for a well run well priced competitor. Safeway is neither well run nor well priced so I don't think they are the best answer but they are sure better than the other competitor in Florida (Winn Dixie) so they would probably provide Publix a little more competition than it currently has...
I was in Florida this summer and visited a Publix store. I will say that the store was MUCH nicer in every aspect than any Safeway or Albertsons I have visited in recent years. I don't think Publix has anything to worry about. Their prices were toward the higher end, but at least they have some justification with a better experience. I also visited a Winn Dixie in the same area. The store was clean and well-stocked, and actually had good produce and meat, but did not seem to have much business. The interior of the store seemed a lot like a pre-lifestyle Safeway store, but it did look a bit dated. Safeway could potentially impact Winn Dixie if they come to Florida. But Florida may or may not be accepting of the whole "lifestyle" bit and it makes sense that Albertsons may only want to try this on the existing stores for now and see what happens instead of pulling another Haggen fiasco.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It appears to me the reason this rumor was started is due to the private label conversion.

I do find it odd it sounds like Albertsons started remodels on FL Stores then stopped. Maybe they are having second thoughts about this remodeling.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is official they will rebanner those 3 stores to Safeway. Why, who knows.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote:It is official they will rebanner those 3 stores to Safeway. Why, who knows.
I am curious to see if Albertsons will roll out the Club Card to these stores? If so, this could give an indication as to their loyalty card plans for the other former Safeway-owned stores.