Weis to acquire 5 locations from Mars

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Weis to acquire 5 locations from Mars

Post by mbz321 »

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs ... story.html

"Weis Markets plans to buy five Mars Super Markets grocery stores, more than doubling Weis' footprint in Baltimore County as the Pennsylvania food retailer continues pushing into the region.

Rosedale-based Mars, a family-owned independent grocer founded in 1943, currently runs 13 stores in the area but did not announce plans for the eight stores not included in the sale."
pseudo3d

Re: Weis to acquire 5 locations from Mars

Post by pseudo3d »

I'm going to assume Mars will keep the remaining 8 stores open for now, though it seems to be coming clear that they're winding down the business.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Mars isn't a great operator. They had a weird product mix, old stores with odd odors, and seemed to specialize in odd things like shrink wrapped produce and other strange behaviors. I am surprised they have lasted as long as they have. Weis will be a good step up for these stores.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

pseudo3d wrote:I'm going to assume Mars will keep the remaining 8 stores open for now, though it seems to be coming clear that they're winding down the business.
It appears that they will close the rest by the end of July, though they are attempting to market the locations to other stores.
(Note - based on what appears to be an internal memo posted at the Ames Fan Club forums, apparently something distributed to employees?).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wouldn't be too surprised if Safeway picks up a few locations, unless they're in particularly sucky locations (even by Baltimore standards). Most of their recent acquisitions seem to be more opportunistic if anything.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am not sure Albertsons will want these. There is a lot of competition and these are not really stores in great neighborhoods or in particularly great condition. I think they have enough problems on their hands operationally at this point. Eastern Division is in the process of a couple store closures right now also.
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

Well, that's the end of Mars Supermarkets as we know it. The area's grocery market is rapidly changing, with stores like Publix and Lidl targeted, the fast rise of Walmart/Wegmans/Harris Teeter/natural foods grocers. No more good old Giant, Shoppers, and Mars.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Most if not all those stores (including their warehouse) were Pantry Pride stores (and before that Food Fair).

Those stores are probably very old so it will be interesting to see who will pick them up.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote:Most if not all those stores (including their warehouse) were Pantry Pride stores (and before that Food Fair).

Those stores are probably very old so it will be interesting to see who will pick them up.
I imagine probably low-end independents (if they remain grocery stores at all). Safeway is probably the best chance for the remaining stores and even that is a very slim one.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

BatteryMill wrote:Well, that's the end of Mars Supermarkets as we know it. The area's grocery market is rapidly changing, with stores like Publix and Lidl targeted, the fast rise of Walmart/Wegmans/Harris Teeter/natural foods grocers. No more good old Giant, Shoppers, and Mars.
Limited assortment/discount grocer Lidlis actively seeking sites across Maryland for its stores. Supermarket Publix could get involved in the Maryland market. It will need to grow and add stores and distribution centers in North Carolina and Virginia.