Farm Fresh may be on its way out

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Farm Fresh may be on its way out

Post by Knight »

SuperValu has taken another step toward exiting the retail segment of the grocery industry by divesting a quantity of Farm Fresh stores. If I were Shoppers, I would be concerned.

The Kroger Company (Kroger - Mid-Atlantic Division, Harris Teeter) is acquiring most of the divested stores. It made a smart move if a competing supermarket, Publix, is moving in.

Food Lion is irrelevant in the Hampton Roads area. Its stores fail in comparison to supermarkets Farm Fresh, Harris Teeter, Kroger and Walmart Neighborhood Market and hypermarket Walmart Supercenter.

I do not know if Publix expressed interest in acquiring a quantity of Farm Fresh stores. I will not doubt it is entering the Hampton Roads area.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I am glad to see Kroger was the main buyer.

Hopefully they can do more in-fill deals picking up stores from weak regional chains in the coming months.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: March 14th, 2018, 10:38 pm I am glad to see Kroger was the main buyer.

Hopefully they can do more in-fill deals picking up stores from weak regional chains in the coming months.
What I find interesting about Kroger is that 8 stores are going to Kroger and 10 to Harris Teeter.

I'd like to know their strategy with the two banners.

For example, every other Kroger banner (including the Roundy's banners) use "Clicklist". However, at Harris Teeter the program is called "Express Lane." All other Kroger banners (except for Harris Teeter) are on the Kroger standardized web format, loyalty system, and advertising system.

In most major metropolitan areas, Kroger also seems to run only one banner between it or Harris Teeter except for the Charlottesville area, Hampton Roads, and Raleigh-Durham.

For example: Greensboro, NC and Charleston, SC are both exclusively Harris-Teeter markets. Yet Columbia, SC and Richmond, VA are exclusively Kroger markets.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Kroger and Harris Teeter co-exist in Beaufort County, South Carolina.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Leftover Farm Fresh supermarkets unlikely to remain grocery stores

Post by cathandler »

The sale of the prescription files at the unsold stores a probable signal
http://pilotonline.com/business/consume ... 85ed7.html
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

I have heard Publix may have interest in some of the remaining seventeen Farm Fresh store locations.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote: March 19th, 2018, 11:13 pm I have heard Publix may have interest in some of the remaining seventeen Farm Fresh store locations.
That's wishful thinking, considering both Kroger and Food Lion took first picks and the pharmacies of those stores are being sold. No way they would enter a market where Food Lion already picked stores over.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Food Lion did not acquire more stores in the Hampton Roads area. It has several underachieving stores that will shutter.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Knight wrote: March 20th, 2018, 9:58 am Food Lion did not acquire more stores in the Hampton Roads area. It has several underachieving stores that will shutter.
Closures or not, it is buying three stores in the area:

1615 General Booth Boulevard, Virginia Beach
683 Hughes Boulevard, Elizabeth City
608 East Mercury Boulevard, Hampton

Publix is not going to happen.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

Two Farm Fresh stores Food Lion is acquiring are near or across from existing Food Lion stores. Either Food Lion will relocate into Farm Fresh's stores, or it will prevent other supermarkets and grocery retailers from moving in.

Publix coming to the Hampton Roads area is happening. It will not come via Farm Fresh at this point.