Acme Wynnewood closing

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Re: Acme Wynnewood closing

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: July 7th, 2020, 2:33 pm (I think that's the area with the Stop & Shop by the 287 exit that was something else originally, but it always seemed smaller than most).
That was a Foodtown which didn't really last that long. I remember it looking more like a warehouse-open ceilings with rack shelving and dim lighting. I can't be sure but did Stop & Shop tear the place down and build from the ground up or did they remodel the existing building? I was in this Stop & Shop only once and usually there are some things left over from the previous occupant and didn't really see any of that. Also as an aside, unless I'm mistaken, I believe A+P operated a stand alone liquor store at this location. I seem to recall that when Foodtown was there, there were one or two additional smaller storefronts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: July 8th, 2020, 9:24 am
BillyGr wrote: July 7th, 2020, 2:33 pm (I think that's the area with the Stop & Shop by the 287 exit that was something else originally, but it always seemed smaller than most).
That was a Foodtown which didn't really last that long. I remember it looking more like a warehouse-open ceilings with rack shelving and dim lighting. I can't be sure but did Stop & Shop tear the place down and build from the ground up or did they remodel the existing building? I was in this Stop & Shop only once and usually there are some things left over from the previous occupant and didn't really see any of that. Also as an aside, unless I'm mistaken, I believe A+P operated a stand alone liquor store at this location. I seem to recall that when Foodtown was there, there were one or two additional smaller storefronts.
Good question - at the time that was happening, I might have gone through that area 4 or 5 times a year or it might have been less (depending on what was going on that we were going to, or not). Don't think I ever stopped there when it was whatever it was (I'd agree it wasn't there a long time, though - really don't remember the name), only after it became S&S (Often seemed to be a good point to stop for food en route, and then would go there for something that other chains didn't seem to offer if we hadn't been near another S&S while in the state, as we are just far enough north in NY to be beyond their area).
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: July 6th, 2020, 10:06 pm
Perhaps Giant replacing the former Genuardi's locations is a real estate play so they can control the former Genuardi's site as well as their new store to prevent another Shop Rite from opening up.
It's possible as Giant has done that with locations in the past, but here it simply seems to be more of a lease thing. The few locations as of late I can think of, the space isn't controlled by Giant. One location reopened as a popular local international grocery store and another is being marketed for a grocery store tenant (Was a Genuardi's that opened in 1999...Giant relocated in 2019 to another former grocery store one town over, so I'm assuming they had a 20 year lease). In a couple other instances over the years, Giant has stayed within the same shopping center, simply constructing a brand new store (taking over former Kmart's and the like).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: July 7th, 2020, 9:47 am One of the A+P's I'm surprised they didn't go after was Pompton Lakes given their long history in the area which came to a premature end when their store (along with the entire shopping center) burned to the ground in 1997. There's an even more interesting story on the aftermath of that fire but that's for another day. A+P eventually built a store on the very same property so it would've been a homecoming of sorts for them. And from what I've read recently, the location is still vacant. I also recall at least one instance where Acme did go in after the fact and pick off a location nobody else wanted. I believe that happened with the Boonton store although there may be others.
Just announced today via the A&P Preservation site that the Pompton Lakes store will become a Lidl (partially), with the rest being made into self storage (give or take a few thousand square feet that is undecided).