New Safeway opens- has partial lifestyle interior

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: New Safeway opens- has partial lifestyle interior

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote:
arizonaguy wrote:
storewanderer wrote:It doesn't look good at all for a brand new store. It looks to me like what most chains would do on a low budget remodel in a back of the road location that few people see. Not a high profile new store.
It looks very "blah".

The new Kroger Marketplace stores have a "wow" factor to them. That store (per the video) was completely lacking on any "wow" factor. It does look like an odd mish-mash of Safeway / Albertsons decor with awful lighting. Some back of the road Safeway stores here in Arizona (and even back of the road Bashas' stores here) have better light fixtures than that store. Albertsons' Arizona flagship store (Desert Ridge in Phoenix) looks 100 times nicer than this (and it simply has "warehouse style" ceilings with the standard LLC decor package.
A "wow" factor? Last I heard the Kroger Marketplace interiors didn't look very good (link) either. The ceiling height does make a HUGE difference, though.

EDIT: It looks like the reason why the ceiling height is low is because it's in an apartment building.
The Kroger Marketplaces without drop ceilings have a "wow" factor about them with that interior package and the polished concrete floors. The Fry's Marketplaces with low ceilings (former Smitty's stores) look absolutely awful with that same interior décor package.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

klkla wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:EDIT: It looks like the reason why the ceiling height is low is because it's in an apartment building.
The ceiling wouldn't have to be that low in a large modern apartment building.

This store sort of reminds me of a store they built in San Francisco ten years ago on the bottom of an apartment building. I would imagine the total ceiling area would be similar. You can see pics on their Yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/safeway- ... 1eiC1TzSPQ
That San Francisco store has unique interior décor (as it appears to have been built around the time they were transitioning to "lifestyle") but it looks much better than the Rockville store.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

I am wondering if we will see that interior on the solo to be reopened Albertsons and Safeway stores in the Northwest that had been Haggen?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

As it turns out, this isn't "Lifestyle 2.0" at all. Acme Style featured this store today and found out it was actually a stripped-down version of a one-of-a-kind Star Market design opened under SuperValu.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote:As it turns out, this isn't "Lifestyle 2.0" at all. Acme Style featured this store today and found out it was actually a stripped-down version of a one-of-a-kind Star Market design opened under SuperValu.
Wow. Can't believe that they're using a SuperValu design.

Anyone know what the Gig Harbor Safeway's decor looks like?
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Back in mid-April, another new Safeway apparently opened in Hyattsville with the same Lifestyle 2.0 decor. Photos can be found here: http://hyattsvillelife.com/its-finally- ... amenities/. Overall, the format seems to be well implemented, and honestly, I like this store's design much more than the Rockville store, which seems cramped based on photos.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

arizonaguy wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:As it turns out, this isn't "Lifestyle 2.0" at all. Acme Style featured this store today and found out it was actually a stripped-down version of a one-of-a-kind Star Market design opened under SuperValu.
Wow. Can't believe that they're using a SuperValu design.

Anyone know what the Gig Harbor Safeway's decor looks like?
Gig Harbor, Shoreline, North Burien, Renton Highlands. All the former Haggen stores that became Safeway have this design!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think this design looks quite good in this store photo set. I also think this would be a very easy (and cheap) re-do to current lifestyle stores.