Price Chopper, Tops to merge

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Price Chopper, Tops to merge

Post by storewanderer »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm Market Basket always prefers to expand organically. They don't ever acquire stores. They are moving into Rhode Island lately.

Big Y could acquire stores in Vermont up for divestiture, assuming Albertsons buys Price Chopper/Tops.
There would also be some overlap in western NH and central MA (around Worcester) assuming this would happen.
I don't see Albertsons buying Price Chopper/Tops. Price Chopper alone sounded possible and we know there were pretty strong rumors. Add Tops in and that does not seem like a great idea.

Generally speaking I think the days of Albertsons attempting to buy any chain they possibly can, as they were trying to do a few years ago, have ended and they have shifted their focus to operating their existing stores better, remodeling existing stores, and rolling out the online and pick-up options. Albertsons needs to become a better operator and I think they have in the past year but there are still a lot of improvements to be made. And pricing continues to be a major problem for them in many markets (not as bad in my market where they have a price cut program in place... very good pricing on many items here).
pseudo3d
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 2:34 pm Market Basket always prefers to expand organically. They don't ever acquire stores. They are moving into Rhode Island lately.

Big Y could acquire stores in Vermont up for divestiture, assuming Albertsons buys Price Chopper/Tops.
There would also be some overlap in western NH and central MA (around Worcester) assuming this would happen.
I don't see Albertsons buying Price Chopper/Tops. Price Chopper alone sounded possible and we know there were pretty strong rumors. Add Tops in and that does not seem like a great idea.

Generally speaking I think the days of Albertsons attempting to buy any chain they possibly can, as they were trying to do a few years ago, have ended and they have shifted their focus to operating their existing stores better, remodeling existing stores, and rolling out the online and pick-up options. Albertsons needs to become a better operator and I think they have in the past year but there are still a lot of improvements to be made. And pricing continues to be a major problem for them in many markets (not as bad in my market where they have a price cut program in place... very good pricing on many items here).
The Price Chopper merger was leaked, it wasn't supposed to be public knowledge until they had closer to making the deal. I'd like to see Albertsons do better too, but the local stores closed in the LLC days and the other closest division, Randalls, isn't doing so hot...plus, the fact that Price Chopper/Tops was never in their market area during the best of times (in terms of store count at its peak in early 2001, not in terms of operations) is probably for the best.
BillyGr
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: February 19th, 2021, 7:04 pm I don't see Albertsons buying Price Chopper/Tops. Price Chopper alone sounded possible and we know there were pretty strong rumors. Add Tops in and that does not seem like a great idea.

Not sure that adding Tops in makes much difference. They only have 3 stores in VT (all former Grand Unions, which means Shaw's didn't buy the stores in those towns) and 17 in PA (which seem to be either far west like Erie, kind of left over from their Ohio days, or along the PA/NY line, and even there not sure that a store like Acme is in those locations for an Albertson's overlap).

You might have one or two of the stores that they got in NY from Hannaford/Stop & Shop that are close to the very few Acme's that wound up in NY via buyouts of old A&P locations.

So whatever overlap existed when looking at Price Chopper with Shaw's or Acme hasn't been added to (or only a tiny bit) with the addition of Tops to the group.

That is, if the newly merged stores are even interested in further consolidation.