Ahold Delhaize is Consolidating Stop & Shop and bfresh

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Ahold Delhaize is Consolidating Stop & Shop and bfresh

Post by Knight »

Ahold Delhaize has announced plans to consolidate the Stop & Shop New England and Stop & Shop New York Metro divisions and specialty gourmet grocery concept bfresh into a single division, Stop & Shop, based in Quincy, Massachusetts.

Ahold USA and Delhaize America announce plans to further strengthen brands

Ahold USA and Delhaize America remain separate entities under Ahold Delhaize.
pseudo3d

Re: Ahold Delhaize is Consolidating Stop & Shop and bfresh

Post by pseudo3d »

If I'm not mistaken, that's a 400+ store division! :o

I can't imagine that would operate all that well with that many stores. I know that Kroger Southwest was pretty large (I thought it had 300 stores at its peak?) and I know that the Southwest division and SoCal division of Albertsons are pretty large, but 400+ stores? That's huge! Nobody has (or had) divisions that big.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Ahold Delhaize is Consolidating Stop & Shop and bfresh

Post by Knight »

I wonder if Stop & Shop will use a division > region > district > store approach. If you operate a division with over 400 stores, you should have several regions for better span of control.

Many Kroger divisions use the division > district > store approach. Some divisions, including Harris Teeter, and other supermarkets, including Publix, use the division > region > district > store approach.