Market Basket finally unveils its own official website

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. No non-grocery posts.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Market Basket finally unveils its own official website

Post by cathandler »

Welcome to the late 20th century...
http://www.shopmarketbasket.com
klkla

Re: Market Basket finally unveils its own official website

Post by klkla »

It looks like their stores are stuck in the 20th Century as well.

This is their newest store that opened a month or two ago:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... UQoioIejAK

Still, they must be doing something right. Their stores do an amazing amount of volume.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I find it interesting they have their own private label across all categories. Not many chains of their size have their own drug private label anymore (seems like 2-3 years ago all of those small chains went to TopCo Top Care brand for drug).

The private label also has some interesting items, like a cold brew coffee concentrate.

Looking at their ad, you can see why they do the volume they do. They have a deep mix, the right mix, at the right prices. They also have lousy store hours, they close early, like 8 or 9 PM. The stores are very heavily staffed when they are open and very busy places. Might be a bit of a throwback on the inside, how the stores look, or how the employee uniforms look, but it works.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Market Basket's private label program has been extensive for a very long time. They even had their own version of the Nabisco Crown Pilot cracker (popular with chowder-lovers) back in the day. MB had competition in the private label arena - Shaw's under Sainsbury took their private label in-house and dropped Topco.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

klkla wrote: October 28th, 2017, 2:14 pm It looks like their stores are stuck in the 20th Century as well.

This is their newest store that opened a month or two ago:

Still, they must be doing something right. Their stores do an amazing amount of volume.
Wow....I mean the outside looks very modern. I get having a no-frills atmosphere and the lowest price, but why bother with the tile floor and ceiling tiles at all then? Maybe they have a warehouse somewhere stacked with 1980's tile and fixtures :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Don't knock them until you've tried them, and observed the volume they do personally...

I too had similar thoughts until I visited one of their stores.

I had already seen the weird retro looking interior photos online before my trip. Then, I had a bad first impression as I was staying near one my first night in NH and the place had a closing time of 8 PM so I couldn't go in until the next morning. I thought to myself what kind of a joke of a grocery store closes at 8 PM?

So when I walked over the next morning, I already had some negative feelings toward the place. All changed after I got through the first aisle and observed what was going on, the mix, the pricing, the staffing, and the efficiency of the employees I saw on the sales floor. I wasn't too impressed by what I tried from their bakery/deli, but at least nothing was overpriced. Their meat/produce was also quite strong.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

storewanderer wrote: November 1st, 2017, 10:08 pm I had a bad first impression as I was staying near one my first night in NH and the place had a closing time of 8 PM so I couldn't go in until the next morning. I thought to myself what kind of a joke of a grocery store closes at 8 PM?
As long as I can remember they have always closed at 9PM Monday-Saturday and 7PM on Sundays. They did experiment with staying open an extra hour during the summer months a few decades ago but eventually reverted to their traditional closing time (as I recall, this was when it was common for Shaw's, Shop 'n Save (Hannaford) and Purity Supreme to keep their superstores open 24 hours.)
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

I remember stopping by a Market Basket when I was in a meeting in Massachusetts a few years ago. The place was packed and whatever it was I bought (probably produce and bakery or deli) was great and well-priced. The store was pretty forgettable--if the graphics and color scheme were a bit outdated they weren't "antique" enough for me to notice. The service was very friendly. I was glad I'd picked it over the nearby Stop & Shop (I've lived in New England in the past and never liked Stop & Shop).

Heinen's, an upscale chain in the Cleveland area closes at 8;30 every night and 6 on Sunday. When I was in Pittsburgh recently, Whole Foods, the closest grocery closed at 9. They close at 10:30 in DC. You can find pretty varied hours across the country. When I lived in Connecticut, the 24 hour Grand Union was near me was a real novelty. I don't recall a lot of other super markets being open particularly late and GU was on its way out in that part of the state.
Last edited by buckguy on November 9th, 2021, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

buckguy wrote: November 5th, 2017, 1:14 pm I remember stopping by a Market Basket when I was in a meeting in Massachusetts a few years ago. The place was packed and whatever it was I bought (probably produce and bakery or deli) was great and well-priced. The store was pretty forgettable--if the graphics and color scheme were a bit outdated they weren't "antique" enough for me to notice. The service was very friendly. I was glad I'd picked it over the nearby Stop & Shop (I've lived in New England in the past and never liked Stop & Shop).

Heinen's, an upscale chain in the Cleveland area closes at *;30 every night and 6 on Sunday. When I was in Pittsburgh recently, Whole Foods, the closest grocery closed at 9. They close at 10:30 in DC. You can find pretty varied hours across the country. When I lived in Connecticut, the 24 hour Grand Union was near me was a real novelty. I don't recall a lot of other super markets being open particularly late and GU was on its way out in that part of the state.
Whole Foods in Phoenix closes at 10:00, as does Bashas'. AJ's (Bashas' upscale brand, for those unfamiliar with the Phoenix grocery scene) closes at 9:00. Mariano's in Chicago closes at 10:00, despite most Jewel-Osco stores being open until midnight with several open 24 hours a day. So...this is not all that uncommon, even in major metro areas.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Bottom line is this: whatever they're doing works and if it ain't broke don't fix it.