Randalls Leander, TX opens

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Randalls Leander, TX opens

Post by pseudo3d »

The Leander TX Randalls opened yesterday (the 9th) after nearly four years since it was first announced. Saw nothing about it in the news today, though these things aren't always published the day after. Pretty standard store, it looks like, 60k square feet, no pizza, all other features ("Liquor" is not checkmarked, but Safeway's site due to its California base it doesn't distinguish between "includes the hard stuff" and "includes beer and wine"...the ad has beer on the front page).

http://local.randalls.com/tx/leander-3145.html
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Randalls Leander, TX opens

Post by architect »

A live video tour of the store has been posted on Randalls' Facebook page. Although the store seems to be well-featured, it is also extremely generic. The store features Florida decor, and like the recent Albertsons to Tom Thumb conversion in Wylie, looks much like a stark hospital room. On the other hand, the store does feature a large amenity set, including made to order pizza, sandwiches, burgers and street tacos, a good cheese selection and a substantial produce department, among other features. Personally, I believe that this store would have been much more exciting (and noteworthy) if they elected to use the Colorful Lifestyle package. The Florida decor package worked well on the Florida Safeways, but has proven to be quite mediocre in their other large open stores where there simply isn't enough color and decor elements to properly fill out the space.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/randallsstores/?fref=ts
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I would've been happier with a deluxe variant of LLC, personally, especially to counter H-E-B's similar decor set, and furthermore, it's embarrassing because H-E-B's prototype can be traced back to Randalls New Generation store (and both can be traced back to Wegmans), so it really should be Randalls being the cutting-edge one. While the tour is mostly complete, and not just a few publicity shots, the whole thing comes out poor, with a bobbing camera, no sound editing, and blurriness. Back when Onstead was in charge, these sorts of things had class and someone who actually knew how to edit video.

The video is too blurry to see if they used "street names" on aisles, which they used in Midtown and Florida but not in Wylie.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:I would've been happier with a deluxe variant of LLC, personally, especially to counter H-E-B's similar decor set, and furthermore, it's embarrassing because H-E-B's prototype can be traced back to Randalls New Generation store (and both can be traced back to Wegmans), so it really should be Randalls being the cutting-edge one. While the tour is mostly complete, and not just a few publicity shots, the whole thing comes out poor, with a bobbing camera, no sound editing, and blurriness. Back when Onstead was in charge, these sorts of things had class and someone who actually knew how to edit video.

The video is too blurry to see if they used "street names" on aisles, which they used in Midtown and Florida but not in Wylie.
I completely agree; this tour simply seemed to casual to take seriously. Also, they did use street names for the aisles at Leander; the store manager even bragged about the signage in the video! I forgot to mention this previously, but street names have also been added to the Wylie store.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

I think this is how we will see any grand opening from now on. I believe they are trying to let shoppers know this is how the store looks in "real time" compared to a structured, edited video that only shows actors (shoppers), manicured staff, perfect displays, etc. Sort of, what you see is what you get so there aren't any surprises.

To me, these types of videos while unprofessional, give the store a "down to earth, hometown" store feel. Makes customers feel more invited and open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

As dull as that interior looks at least it is something different, clean, and perhaps appealing in the current environment since it is so simplistic. I do not care for this interior but at least it is a change?

Meanwhile Safeway NorCal's new Walnut Creek Store has the 10+ year old lifestyle interior but with slightly brighter lighting and with a dark brown shiny stained cement floor throughout. NorCal Safeway is like a one trick pony: all it knows how to do is the lifestyle store. Really time to give NorCal division some fresh ideas.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:As dull as that interior looks at least it is something different, clean, and perhaps appealing in the current environment since it is so simplistic. I do not care for this interior but at least it is a change?

Meanwhile Safeway NorCal's new Walnut Creek Store has the 10+ year old lifestyle interior but with slightly brighter lighting and with a dark brown shiny stained cement floor throughout. NorCal Safeway is like a one trick pony: all it knows how to do is the lifestyle store. Really time to give NorCal division some fresh ideas.
NorCal was headed by Safeway people last I heard. Something is definitely up with NorCal in a wrong way, and something unique to that division. I hope that the conversion of (all but one) Andronico's into the new "Safeway Community Markets" will infuse some new ideas into the division, but I don't have high hopes.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

NorCal is making them so much money I think they know exactly what they are doing there. They know they can get away with outrageous prices and understaffed stores due to the competitive situation in the market being what it is, and unlikely to change any time soon.