Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by BillyGr »

pseudo3d wrote: To me, I took the "not Joe Albertson's company" both in referring literally to the actual company (although evidence exists that Albertsons LLC is in fact the reorganized Albertsons Inc., Albertsons Companies Inc. is AB Acquisition LLC, created in 2006) and the fact that Albertsons does things differently now. Remember, Albertsons was the last of the big supermarket chains to understand that changing local names to the corporate one is a bad idea in the long run. Even A&P learned that lesson in the 1980s with Super Fresh, and later Farmer Jack (not that either of those names survive today).
Actually, I was under the understanding that Superfresh was a name they created to take over some of their "regular" A&P locations due to an issue with the unions at the time, rather than an existing chain that they took over?

Certainly works for Farmer Jack, though (including that they eventually changed some existing A&P locations to that name).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

BillyGr wrote:
pseudo3d wrote: To me, I took the "not Joe Albertson's company" both in referring literally to the actual company (although evidence exists that Albertsons LLC is in fact the reorganized Albertsons Inc., Albertsons Companies Inc. is AB Acquisition LLC, created in 2006) and the fact that Albertsons does things differently now. Remember, Albertsons was the last of the big supermarket chains to understand that changing local names to the corporate one is a bad idea in the long run. Even A&P learned that lesson in the 1980s with Super Fresh, and later Farmer Jack (not that either of those names survive today).
Actually, I was under the understanding that Superfresh was a name they created to take over some of their "regular" A&P locations due to an issue with the unions at the time, rather than an existing chain that they took over?

Certainly works for Farmer Jack, though (including that they eventually changed some existing A&P locations to that name).
The initial batch of Super Fresh stores were rebranded A&P stores, yes, but according to Wikipedia, Super Fresh performed well enough that it convinced A&P executives that the A&P name wasn't as good as they thought. During that same era, they also bought Kohl's Food Stores from BATUS (which also owned the department store of the same name), and kept that name--which probably would've done okay had they not angered everyone by revoking union benefits and significantly dropping the pay grade (the worst way to de-unionize). Meanwhile, Kroger purchased Dillon's but never rebranded those stores, even after they had otherwise fully "Kroger-ized", Safeway bought Dominick's, Randalls, and Vons though never re-branded them (keeping the names on the stores), but Albertsons plowed ahead and rebranded the Lucky and Buttrey stores with plans for more. Better late than never on the "local names" aspect.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Interesting decor update: A few says before Christmas, Albertsons announced that it will be reopening the former Albertsons turned Haggen in San Pedro, CA at 28100 S. Western Ave. Interestingly, media reports state that the store will be reopening as an Albertsons, but yet the store seems to be receiving Colorful Lifestyle decor. Has anyone seen this combination on any other former Haggen conversions (or other recently renovated stores)? Last I knew, Albertsons was still using the LLC decor for their namesake stores, or at least I thought.

Article: http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/201 ... -by-haggen
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

architect wrote:Interesting decor update: A few says before Christmas, Albertsons announced that it will be reopening the former Albertsons turned Haggen in San Pedro, CA at 28100 S. Western Ave. Interestingly, media reports state that the store will be reopening as an Albertsons, but yet the store seems to be receiving Colorful Lifestyle decor. Has anyone seen this combination on any other former Haggen conversions (or other recently renovated stores)? Last I knew, Albertsons was still using the LLC decor for their namesake stores, or at least I thought.

Article: http://www.dailybreeze.com/business/201 ... -by-haggen

The Albertsons in Ladera Ranch, CA was remodeled a few months ago, it also got the "Colorful Lifestyle" decor package.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... EQoioIbjAK
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Baker City, Oregon's store also got the "Colorful Lifestyle" decor . . . but of course it was originally reported that it would open as a Safeway. Community outcry caused it to be opened as an Albertsons although I believe both are delivered to and priced by the Portland, Ore. team (no Intermountain involvement).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A former Haggen in El Cajon that reopened as Albertsons last year got the LLC decor (looked good too). Meanwhile a former Haggen in San Diego that just reopened as Vons in November received that TX/FL interior package. Both of those were 2000-2004 era Albertsons builds, large exposed ceilings, etc.

At least they are keeping things interesting in some regions by running all these different interiors at the same time with little rhyme or reason as to what banner gets what interior.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Don't forget that "colorful lifestyle" first appeared at a Star Market in 2012:

http://retaildesignblog.net/2012/01/03/ ... achusetts/
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Albertsons is experimenting with the different decors. They want to see which decor package makes the most money. Will the colorful Lifestyle decor attract the most customers? I find that the colorful Lifestyle decor seems to be the most pleasant looking decor. This one seems to be very upscale and nice. The other decor packages such as the Florida or Texas Lifestyle versions are ugly and bland. The LLC decor looks cheap. If the colorful Lifestyle decor attracts higher income people and increases sales, why not use that one for most of the stores.

In any case, Albertsons should definitely remodel some more of the old Lifestyle stores into the colorful decor and see if sales increase. People are bored of the old and dark Safeway Lifestyle decor. Many of those stores were remodeled over 10 years ago. It is time for a change to something fresh and new. All of the local Safeway stores near me in Northern California have the old Lifestyle decor and most of those stores have dust covering the wall decor. Sales are stagnant and people are going to new stores such as Sprouts or even Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's puts new decor in their stores every few years. Safeway is now seen as out of date and stale. The food in their stores is often expired and well past the sell date. That's what happens when your stores are so dimly lit, dusty, and understaffed. It's so dark in here, who cares about the dust.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote:Albertsons is experimenting with the different decors. They want to see which decor package makes the most money. Will the colorful Lifestyle decor attract the most customers? I find that the colorful Lifestyle decor seems to be the most pleasant looking decor. This one seems to be very upscale and nice. The other decor packages such as the Florida or Texas Lifestyle versions are ugly and bland. The LLC decor looks cheap. If the colorful Lifestyle decor attracts higher income people and increases sales, why not use that one for most of the stores.

In any case, Albertsons should definitely remodel some more of the old Lifestyle stores into the colorful decor and see if sales increase. People are bored of the old and dark Safeway Lifestyle decor. Many of those stores were remodeled over 10 years ago. It is time for a change to something fresh and new. All of the local Safeway stores near me in Northern California have the old Lifestyle decor and most of those stores have dust covering the wall decor. Sales are stagnant and people are going to new stores such as Sprouts or even Trader Joe's. Trader Joe's puts new decor in their stores every few years. Safeway is now seen as out of date and stale. The food in their stores is often expired and well past the sell date. That's what happens when your stores are so dimly lit, dusty, and understaffed. It's so dark in here, who cares about the dust.
LLC was first used in some early 2000s Albertsons stores with high ceilings and bright lights, and that's where it looks the best. The whole store looks fairly vibrant, but it doesn't work in other stores. NorCal is bending over backwards to keep some semblance of Lifestyle in all of its stores, most notably in the former G&G stores. Personally, I think they should've kept G&G's old 2008 decor (because Lifestyle really dates back to 2005), or either used LLC (the store's architecture looks like LLC could actually work there) or the "Color Lifestyle". Frankly, I agree that TX/FL looks a little bland. It always felt like a knockoff of Winn-Dixie's original "Down Down" architecture in Jacksonville (which unfortunately never went beyond that one store in implementation--the original was very dramatic and cool-looking but how it ended up being used was just white 3D letters on red walls).
kr.abs.swy
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I can't help but wonder at how obsessed with store décor people are on this board. I love a nicely remodeled store as much as the next buy, but the average consumer does not choose the store they shop at based on the fact that it hasn't gotten a remodel in 10 years. They choose based on some combination of how close it is to their home or commuting route, whether it has the products they need (particularly unique products for people with special dietary needs) or want, whether the prices are good, whether the weekly flyer was interesting, whether the produce is fresh, whether the service departments do a good job, and whether they can get in and out quickly (no long lines). When you wander around stores, you sometimes overhear people complaining about something that they can't find, is out of stock, etc. You never hear someone say "Dang, the décor in this store is 10 years old. I'm not going to shop here any more."

Obviously for highly dated décor packages or dysfunctional décor packages, this does not apply.

And this isn't to say that people don't prefer a store that has been remodeled. But for most people, it isn't the key deciding point.