New Albertsons open in Las Vegas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: New Albertsons open in Las Vegas

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
rwsandiego wrote: No, it is completely different. Here are two pics from the Kinzie store:

Wow! Amazing! Probably my favorite of the current décor sets. It does have the TX/FL color scheme (including "street names") but far nicer. Until today, I didn't realize Jewel-Osco still had the Pier 14 name.
Yup - the bakery is still the Bake Shop, meat is still Butcher Block (although "Meat" is also used. sadly "Farmstand" stayed with SVU. Chef's Kitchen seems to be used sporadically.

The Kinzie store interior pre-dates the FL and TX stores. Jewel has had brown interiors since 1997. The so-called Albertsons Marketplace interior started at Jewel while under ASC ownership. While I'm not sure that it was the first store to have it, the first store I saw it at was the behemoth Howard and Kedzie store in Evanston. It was remodeled into that decor package after being in business 2 or 3 years.

I can't find the pics I took at the Southport store. Similar concept, but different font and colored backgrounds for the department signs. Also, different aisle signs but they have the street names. It also pre-dates the FL and TX interior.
Would make sense if the TX/FL interior was a bastardized version of the J-O interior.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

pseudo3d wrote: So right now we have 5 décor sets being "active" in Albertsons/Safeway (not counting United Supermarkets).

- Lifestyle (despite being a decade old, still found in NorCal new-builds, reported Vons remodels)
- LLC (Jewel, Acme, Albertsons brands)
- "Color Lifestyle" (Albertsons that were or may be converted to Safeway, Safeway, one prototype Shaw's)
- "TX/FL" (currently only found in Houston/South, Florida--all either converted to Safeway or Safeway-owned brands)
- New Pavilions (Pavilions)

...and that's not counting old packages still kicking around (notably PF&H) and inherited sets from other stores (I think that late-model Furr's/Raleys with the red ceilings is still intact, A&P, likely others).
I also would like to add that a Vons former Haggen/Albertsons in Santa Barbara, that reopened this past August looks like it's also been remodeled to the FL/TX decor package. So it seems like that decor package isn't exclusive to only Florida and Texas, and it looks like the So Cal division has most different types of decor packages being used (Lifestyle, Colorful Lifestyle, LLC, TX/FL, and Pavilions decor).

http://www.keyt.com/news/santa-barbara- ... s/87597479
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I visited this store on Sunday, June 11 while visiting Las Vegas. It was quite busy mid-afternoon but they had almost all checkstands open with no more than 2 people in any line. They are continuing to have a special ad week after week for this location only with lower prices than other Albertsons in Las Vegas. The day I was here 24 packs of Refreshe water were $1.67 with in-ad coupon which was a popular deal. Appeared they were doing a good job of keeping the store restocked midday on a number of items. Meat area looked very well taken care of. Prefer Albertsons/Vons in Las Vegas for meat since they have USDA Choice (although Smith's on Las Vegas Blvd. South had signs up that all their meat is USDA Choice or higher now. That's a welcome change).

Staff I encountered were friendly but the cashier I went to was not trained well. I had manufacturer coupons for Ball Park franks which had been tagged with an Albertsons UPC for quick sale. I asked if I could use coupons on them and she said yes until she saw the expiration date on the coupons which was June 11. She said that meant they were already expired. I tried to explain that wasn't correct and she just said lets see if they scan. They did to my surprise since the UPC wasn't Ball Park not because of the date. The coupons appeared as a missilanious discount on my receipt.

Not a fan of concrete floors in any store. This place was no exception. Great to see a supermarket without gaming in Las Vegas, though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Smiths in Reno has been on 100% USDA Choice or Prime Beef for a few months now. They were the last chain in the market to do this; even WinCo has USDA Choice Beef. Really bad showing for Kroger but at least they finally made the switch. To me, the meat looks no better than before. The regular prices are the same as before, but the ad prices seem to be about $1/lb higher than before. This is unlike when Safeway went to USDA Choice Beef and all prices shot up $2/lb.

The Smith's meat department continues to look terrible compared to a Ralphs or Frys Meat Department. The Safeway Meat Departments up here look very fresh, have little product out, and are horribly priced (7.49/lb 90% lean ground beef and 7.99/lb short ribs???).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote:...The Smith's meat department continues to look terrible compared to a Ralphs or Frys Meat Department. The Safeway Meat Departments up here look very fresh, have little product out, and are horribly priced (7.49/lb 90% lean ground beef and 7.99/lb short ribs???).
I was in Albuquerque over Memorial Day weekend and went shopping for steaks at the supposedly "nicer" Smith's on Carlisle and Constitution. Although the meat department was very well-stocked, the meat didn't look very appetizing. Bought it at Whole Foods instead.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think Albertsons (and I mean the Albertsons banner) does a better job on meat than any Kroger division as well as any of the Safeway and related brands do... better quality, better price, better assortment... just better. There is that fish odor that has always been an Albertsons problem over the years, but I don't let that bother me too much. It would be interesting if Albertsons could somehow bring its meat program to Safeway. Instead, the bull$%*% games continue at Safeway in the meat department. Overstuffed packages, giant surcharges if you do not take those overstuffed packages (this week in NorCal: 5+lb packages of ground beef 2.99/lb and if you want smaller it is 4.99/lb), poor selection of cuts (think/thin?), limited hours for service counters... total joke.