Acme president appointed to head Safeway East

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. No non-grocery posts.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Acme president appointed to head Safeway East

Post by Knight »

pseudo3d wrote: October 19th, 2017, 7:37 pm From what I've heard, ACME has suffered some from Safeway cross-pollination in terms of product mix, but this arrangement sets all sorts of bells off. I doubt that Safeway will become ACME or vice versa (in product mix and presentation, not name), but this seems like a prelude to merging Eastern and ACME into one division, presumably to save costs. It doesn't mean that it will be a disaster like Stop & Shop/Giant-Landover as there will almost certainly be sub-divisions like how South has DFW, Louisiana, and Houston, nor will it be quite as large. Safeway had 127 stores in Eastern as of March 2015, though I believe more stores have closed than opened, while ACME has 179 as of last October, which again, has lost a few more stores than gained, putting the store count of the theoretical ACME/Eastern division as about 300 stores, less than SoCal's 350 and definitely less than the 400+ stores of Stop & Shop/Giant-MD.
Albertson's combining its Eastern and Acme divisions could be doable. The result could be an Acme Division with over 300 stores.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

With the changes at Eastern, I wonder what (if anything) they want to do with Safeway Florida? Pick off stores from Winn-Dixie to grow it? Sell it off? Close them down?
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

The one noticable difference, so far, is less in the way of promotional pricing. Safeway used to regularly do this with Haagen Daz and Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Entenenmann's, and some other items where Giant would regularly be competitive. Now, no more. They've kept this kind of pricing on some things but not the range of items they've offered in the past.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is less promotional pricing to support lower everyday pricing as well as a smaller number of "loss leader" type ad items.

I try to shop Safeway but it's hard. They are already screwing around with the "new lower prices" they rolled out in NorCal a month or two ago. The bananas that were EDLP .49/lb are now up at .59/lb. The gallon milk that was EDLP 2.97 is now up at 3.00. The Dozen "Value Corner" Eggs that was EDLP at 1.99 is now up at 2.19. Raleys who had the lower price points for a while now has not gone up on any of this stuff. I'd rather shop at Raleys than roll the dice on what may happen at Safeway; more orderly stores with more consistent quality, friendlier employees, and far faster checkout. Or just go to Smiths where all those items are lower still.