Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Fred Meyer Remodels Continue

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

http://tdn.com/business/local/fred-meye ... 8f608.html

Bellevue Fred Meyer remodeling still in progress, thank God!

~Ben
Super S

Post by Super S »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:http://tdn.com/business/local/fred-meye ... 8f608.html

~Ben
Might want to recheck this one. That article has to do with the 2003 remodel of the Longview Fred Meyer. Except for a general merchandise reset, and changes to accommodate the addition of liquor, that was the last remodel. ( This happens to be the one closest to me)
StoreLiker2006
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:

~Ben
Might want to recheck this one. That article has to do with the 2003 remodel of the Longview Fred Meyer. Except for a general merchandise reset, and changes to accommodate the addition of liquor, that was the last remodel. ( This happens to be the one closest to me)
Sorry, yes this one does pertain to the Longview one... does anyone know if the Bellevue store's remodel is finished yet?

~Ben
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:
Super S wrote:

~Ben
Sorry, yes this one does pertain to the Longview one... does anyone know if the Bellevue store's remodel is finished yet?

~Ben
Yes, the reopening date was March 24th. I stopped in briefly for some groceries when I was in the area last week, but didn't see too much of it. My first impression is that the layout of the grocery section was quite confusing.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

From the store's official facebook page, here is the interior layout:
Kyleinlongview
Cart Collector
Cart Collector

Post by Kyleinlongview »

Super S wrote: April 18th, 2017, 6:39 am

~Ben
That is changing now. Just found out from my source inside the Longview Fred Meyer that in January they will be remodeling the Longview store. Didn't get too many details, but they mentioned the decore of the store was changing (very sad as I prefer the current look to the more updated Fred Meyer stores Ive been in) and that there will be a new dedicated section for wine/liquor sales. They have always already started construction on a package shipping center where the kids playland use to be (and wont be coming back).
Restaurant Manager in Longview, WA
Super S

Post by Super S »

Kyleinlongview wrote: November 18th, 2017, 3:46 pm
Super S wrote: April 18th, 2017, 6:39 am

~Ben
That is changing now. Just found out from my source inside the Longview Fred Meyer that in January they will be remodeling the Longview store. Didn't get too many details, but they mentioned the decore of the store was changing (very sad as I prefer the current look to the more updated Fred Meyer stores Ive been in) and that there will be a new dedicated section for wine/liquor sales. They have always already started construction on a package shipping center where the kids playland use to be (and wont be coming back).
I am curious about whether they will continue with moving to polished concrete floors, or if they will re-tile the floors like they did when they remodeled Warrenton (which looks much better than seeing old tile lines in the older locations) I am also curious if they will retain the current rows of lighting (8 foot T8 fluorescents with reflectors) or if they will go with the individual 6-lamp fixtures like most recent remodels, or perhaps new LED fixtures.

With that said, some of the hardlines side is really looking bad, especially the mis-matched tiles where they did a reset. The restrooms also are tired looking. I did notice the playland blocked off but didn't think anything of it. I will say though that the current interior has aged a lot better overall than the previous early 90s remodel which had gray walls with neon letters indicating the departments.
Super S

Post by Super S »

I have noticed some inconsistency with recent Fred Meyer remodels. Some are thorough and well done. Others, not so much. Yesterday, I made a quick stop at the Fred Meyer off I-5 at Lancaster in Salem, and discovered that they did a major remodel sometime in the last couple years. (I was last in this one about 2-3 years ago) To be honest, this one looks worse now. They went to polished concrete floors and you can see the lines of the old tiles which is bad enough, but also removed the suspended ceiling, and did not even bother to paint above where the ceiling was. Not only does it make the store look dark, but it exposes the mish-mash of various remodels...one portion is taller with wooden beams, the grocery portion is lower with metal beams and different construction. It looks patched together. And very obvious that the store was added on to at some point in time. Painting the exposed area (as they have done with most of these where the suspended ceiling was removed) would at least provide a more consistent appearance. It also appears that Fred Meyer is sticking with their older checkstand design again, at least at this store.

Supposedly Longview is being remodeled soon. Hopefully they don't cheapen that one too much....
Super S

Post by Super S »

Super S wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:56 am I have noticed some inconsistency with recent Fred Meyer remodels. Some are thorough and well done. Others, not so much. Yesterday, I made a quick stop at the Fred Meyer off I-5 at Lancaster in Salem, and discovered that they did a major remodel within the past year. To be honest, this one looks worse now. They went to polished concrete floors and you can see the lines of the old tiles which is bad enough, but also removed the suspended ceiling, and did not even bother to paint above where the ceiling was. Not only does it make the store look dark, but it exposes the mish-mash of various remodels...one portion is taller with wooden beams, the grocery portion is lower with metal beams and different construction. It looks patched together. And very obvious that the store was added on to at some point in time. Painting the exposed area (as they have done with most of these where the suspended ceiling was removed) would at least provide a more consistent appearance. It also appears that Fred Meyer is sticking with their older checkstand design again, at least at this store.

Supposedly Longview is being remodeled soon. Hopefully they don't cheapen that one too much....
****I attempted to edit the previous post, and instead it made a duplicate. Not sure why.****
Last edited by Super S on January 10th, 2018, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: January 10th, 2018, 9:56 am I have noticed some inconsistency with recent Fred Meyer remodels. Some are thorough and well done. Others, not so much. Yesterday, I made a quick stop at the Fred Meyer off I-5 at Lancaster in Salem, and discovered that they did a major remodel sometime in the last couple years. (I was last in this one about 2-3 years ago) To be honest, this one looks worse now. They went to polished concrete floors and you can see the lines of the old tiles which is bad enough, but also removed the suspended ceiling, and did not even bother to paint above where the ceiling was. Not only does it make the store look dark, but it exposes the mish-mash of various remodels...one portion is taller with wooden beams, the grocery portion is lower with metal beams and different construction. It looks patched together. And very obvious that the store was added on to at some point in time. Painting the exposed area (as they have done with most of these where the suspended ceiling was removed) would at least provide a more consistent appearance. It also appears that Fred Meyer is sticking with their older checkstand design again, at least at this store.

Many Fred Meyer Stores remodeled the past few years look worse than they did before the remodels. The concrete floors look terrible. The colors on the walls and the font on the walls is repulsive. The stores do not feel upscale at all anymore. They feel dreary and downscale as far as the hard appearance goes, yet the presentation of merchandise is still more upscale. It is a very conflicted feeling store.

I have seen some bad looking cement floors on remodels they did 10 years ago, though. It seemed like for a while they started to include new floor tiles in remodels when the concrete below was in too rough of shape. But more recently they seem to be back to the "concrete, period" strategy. That is fine, but they need to figure out a way to make the concrete look presentable.